Chapter 12: The Savior of the Sinners

I was confused by Manang Linda's actions these past few days. I once caught her watching me. And when our eyes met, she would just smile a little. But her smile was different. It looked sad. Maybe she was just affected by Mom's death because I told her about the accident. But there was something bothering me. She seemed to want to tell me something... or was it just my hallucination?

I heard my phone ringing on the small table in the living room. I picked it up and I saw Storm's name registered on the screen.

"Hello?"

"Fara, may I have a favor? Puwede bang pakihatid dito sa office ko 'yong white envelope na nasa study room? Please," he pleaded.

"S-sige," I said.

I went to the study room and looked for the white envelope Storm was talking about . When I found it, I checked my phone and saw that he sent me the address of his company. I used the white car parked in the garage. It was Tyler's wedding gift for me and Storm, and one of the latest models to-date. No wonder because my brother was so in love with cars.

I quickly arrived at a high and huge building of the MacHunt Company. The guard greeted me a Good morning. I went straight to the reception desk.

"Good morning, Ma'am," the receptionist greeted me with a smile.

"I'm looking for Storm Dylan Hunt. Where's his office?"

"Do you have an appointment with Mr. Hunt?"

"No, I have something to give―" I was cut off when the telephone rang.

"Excuse me, Ma'am," she said and answered the call. Sumulyap ito sa akin habang kausap ang nasa kabilang linya. She later ended the phone and wore a bright smile. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. Mr. Hunt's office is on the 28th floor."

I headed to the elevator. Napapatingin sa akin from head to toe ang bawat empleyado na nakakasalubong ko. Some greeted and smiled at me. They seemed to be the employees of this building.

I reached the 28th floor and as I stepped out of the elevator, I saw a familiar woman. I finally recognized Ate Christy when I reached near her location. I started to call her Ate when I found out that she was five years older than me.

"Fara," she greeted me with a smile on her lips. "Kanina ka pa niya hinihintay. Come in." She led me into entering Storm's office. "Kumusta ka na?" she asked.

"I'm good," I replied and smiled back at her.

She knocked on another door. I thought it was the main office - bungad pa lang pala 'yong kanina. She opened the door slightly after knocking. "Sir, your wife is here!" she announced. I smiled a little to cover up my awkward feeling when she said the word your wife. Afterwards, Ate Christy went out so I was left alone.

I walked into the office. I saw Storm seated in his swivel chair while his eyes were focused on his laptop. I couldn't help but stare at him because he was wearing eyeglasses. I snapped from my trance and walked towards him; his gaze turned away from the laptop and landed on me.

"Here is the envelope," I said and put it on the table.

He took off his eyeglasses and smiled at me. "Thanks. I need it for the presentation," he said and then opened the envelope to check the papers inside. "Nag-lunch ka na?" he asked me as he stood up and came near me. I was dazed when I stared at him. He looked so good in his suit.

"N-not yet," I answered. I checked my wrist watch and realized it was already 12 noon.

"Let's have lunch," he invited. I just let him gently hold my wrist and drag me out of his office. "Lunch time," he announced to Christy. "Order some food," he added. "What do you want to eat?" baling niya sa akin.

"Kahit ano," I replied.

We waited for the delivery, and it arrived after a few minutes. Storm's office was like a living room so we ate there. Afterwards, Storm did not send me home because he wanted me to wait for him to finish his work so that we could go home together. I was a bit bored, so I did nothing but play an online game.

A few hours had passed before Storm finished all his works - almost six in the evening. Everyone was looking at us as we exited the building.

"I'm going to watch a movie. Do you wanna join me?" he said as he got inside his car.

"What movie?"

"Dahil Holy Week na, we'll watch 'The Gospel of John'."

I wasn't familiar with that movie. "Sounds interesting," I said.

He just smiled.

***

I watched Storm connecting the USB to the flat screen television in our bedroom. He searched for the movie and played it, then he sat on the bed beside me.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . ."

The movie began. We were just quiet and our focus was on the screen. The movie seemed to be from an old era because the clothes of the characters were kind of primitive. Little by little, I understood what the movie was about. It was the story of Jesus Christ. I remembered what Dad had told me when I was a kid: "He's just a fictional character in a story."

So, this was what Dad talked about before. Well, not bad. It was amazing when Jesus turned the water into wine. He did many miracles. There were some words or quotations that I didn't understand. I wondered if this story was real. It was unbelievable. It seemed like Jesus had a power or magic.

"Jesus is God, right?" I asked Storm.

Nabaling naman ang tingin niya sa akin at tumugon, "Yeah."

"Bakit nagagawa niya ang mga bagay na 'yon? Is God a magician?" I asked more.

"No. Not a magician," he said and laughed. "Magicians have cheats. God doesn't do any trick."

I didn't talk anymore and just brought my attention back to what we were watching.

One of the disciples betrayed Jesus. That was the saddest part of the story, and what made me feel more sad was when people chose Barabbas over Jesus. We were on the part that some men was striking Jesus' back. I gasped as they repeatedly struck him with whips and other torture things. It felt like I was the one who was being struck.

"Those people are stupid!" I commented, feeling exasperated. "Why did they choose Barabbas over him?"

"Because Jesus considered Himself to be equal to God. The people didn't believe Him that He's the Son of God," he explained.

My eyes widened when they forced Jesus to carry the cross. "Hey! That's heavy!" I reacted.

"That's the sacrifice He did for the sinners... like you," Storm told me while his eyes were focused on the movie. "Jesus Christ is the Savior of the sinners."

I furrowed my brows in confusion.

Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit kailangan gawin iyon ni Jesus Christ para sa mga makasalanan.

I felt sad. I didn't know why. It was just a movie. But why was I affected by someone's imagination? I harshly shut my eyes. And when I opened my eyes again, Jesus was already being crucified.

I was still in confusion when the movie finally ended. I didn't want to think about that thing but I couldn't really get rid of it in my mind.

I want to believe it. It seems real, I thought.

I remembered what Storm had told me: "Salvation means Jesus died on the cross for our sins that will bring us to eternal death. But because of God's amazing love and grace, He died for us to wash all our sins, and whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life."