Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Is everything ready?” Baron asked one of the rebel soldiers. Baron had tasked a few men who were idle to get together some supplies, thermal blankets, and a few tents for their trip through the forest.

The night was quiet and dark, the great bonfire that had been burning hours before was now nothing more than a pile of black smouldering coals with red and orange embers mixed in with the ashes. Most of the camp was asleep, with the exception of the sentries, camp patrollers and a few groups of men and women around little campfires.

“Yes, we have prepared all we could in the time you gave us. A ten day supply of food, eight thermal blankets and three tents,” the lieutenant informed him. Her eyes were blood shot and she had very sluggish movements, it was clear she was very tired.

“Very well, thank you. Go get some rest,” Baron told her with appreciative eyes. The lieutenant nodded and trudged off towards where ever it was she was sleeping.

Teran walked over to Vrik, whom was sitting down with his head hung low. He looked up as Teran approached.

“Are we ready to get this show on the road?” Teran asked his friend through a loud yawn.

Seeing Teran yawn caused Vrik to do the same, “Just about.” They were both still quite sleepy. Sura on the other hand, was wide awake and ecstatic. She was so excited to be going on this mission she couldn’t sit still; she was pacing around in circles very quickly.

“All right, everyone, pick up your bags and let’s get going,” Baron announced, after inspecting all the food, water and equipment. Sura had to muffle a squeal, while Karem grunted as he rose to help his old Mentor hand out the packs.

The five of them hauled their bags over their shoulders and walked out of the camp. They passed several sentries, all of whom saluted and wished them good luck on their mission. The outer most outlook post had two men, both approached the group. The men’s stature and walking posture gave them away instantly. Both Garen and Vladimir strode over to the five departing members of the rebel army.

Nothing was said between any of them; the two soldiers just shook each of the Guardians’ hands and nodded their heads to assert their confidence in the team to complete their objective. Then they watched as the five warriors walked off out of sight and into the darkness of the surrounding forest.

The five Zeuti Guardians walked for hours without speaking a word. They were all just too tired, too focused or unwilling to risk their voice carrying throughout the night and disrupting its silence. Except for Sura that is, she just chatted on about anything and everything, but she was wise enough not to talk too much.

After walking for nearly three hours straight the darkness was starting to lift and was being replaced by a dim dawn light. Unfortunately, the entire valley around them was full of the same thin blue mist that covered the forest every morning.

Baron called for everyone to stop. “We will take a short break here and have some breakfast.” Everyone was glad that someone finally called for a break; no one had wanted to be the first one.

Each of them found a rock or a log to sit on, everything was damp with the mist but at least they were off their feet for the moment. Teran brought out his hot water bottle and poured everyone a cup of warm coffee. They all cupped their hands around their hot mugs, warming their numb fingers and getting feeling back in them.

“I wonder how long it will take for us to reach the Hadi base,” Karem said, starting up their first conversation since leaving the rebel camp.

“From the look of the map Rogan gave us, I’d say it will take at least another twenty-eight hours,” Vrik replied. "It would have been nice to have been able to use some sort of transport but we have to move on foot to stay hidden more easily. We can't very well go saving someone if we get an entire imperial regiment, or worse yet Inquisitor Jore, on our tails."