Chapter- 08

EDITED: 18th March 2019

Brooklyn.

I could hear his heavy breathing on the other side of the telephone making me close my eyes. Was saying his name that bad of a thing?

My uncle's words from the party flashed in my mind,

"..his name is Mr. Diavolo Francesco. But let me warn you niece, don't even by mistake utter his first name."

"What did you just call me, Brooklyn?" Oh my, this was bad. His voice was so dark, it sent chills down my bones. And not good ones either.

"I-I am s-sorry." I stuttered out, though I didn't even know why I was apologizing.

"Don't you ever call me that again, understood?" He said again, sounding a little more relaxed than before but still tensed.

I felt bad, even though I shouldn't. Addressing people by their name is a normal thing then why did it bother him if I so much as merely uttered his name. It confused me, he confused me.

But I let it slide, knowing if I asked anything it would only make the tension thicker. Instead, I settled for a safer question,

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked him.

"Oh, just that you are meeting me for coffee tomorrow evening. I'll pick you up." He said, nonchalantly. But me, being me started feeling all jittery and giddy.

Is he asking me on a date? Or is this even considered one? And he's not even asking, he is basically demanding me. And so I take the risk. Because who is he to be talking like that to me! I am not a puppet.

"What makes you think I'll come. I mean, I barely know you." I challenged him.

I heard him chuckle humorlessly, "Oh you will alright. I'll kidnap you if I have to, dear Brooklyn." I could practically hear the smirk in his voice. Cocky bastard.
But he wouldn't really kidnap me, would he?

"Oh, you wouldn't dare," I said, rolling my tired eyes and laying on my back, head on the pillow.

"Trust me, I will if I have too." I heard his voice, and I hummed back in response almost asleep.

I could hear his distant voice mumble incoherent words, but I paid no mind to it drifting into my dreamland with the phone still close to my ear.
---

When I wake up, the phone was still in my hand and it looked to be about 8:00 in the morning. Knowing it was the day to go home, I sat up placing the phone on the table beside my bed and stretching my arms weirdly.

I was about to go to the bathroom attached to my room for taking a piss, but my mom burst through the door before I could even move.

"My baby, how do you feel now?" She said, squeezing me tight.