Chapter 10

"I hate it here, I want to leave" was the first demand Gracie made moments after the intimidating man had left.

"Gracie, I'm sorry, I truly am, but there's no way out of this" her brother apologised, tone grim as he looked sorrowfully at the ground.

"Don't give me that bull, there's always a way out" she hissed, rather upset at the outcome of the entire ordeal.

She hadn't expected the barista to had pop out and tranquillise her; she hadn't thought through it. He had drugged her, what made her think he wouldn't tranquillise her?

"I'm not joking Grace, there's no way out. I would appreciate it if you could just follow me" he asked, hopeful.

"Are you joking right now? I just got blackmailed into working with an organisation I have no insight regarding whatsoever. I had planned to just be a freelance worker and maybe hack my way through adulthood until I eventually turn into a cripple and die. But now, all those plans have been tossed out the window and if my mind hasn't failed me, I'm probably going to become an agent with you" she spat, eyebrows furrowed while her forehead creased in frustration.

This whole ordeal came out of the blue, slamming into her like a truck. There wasn't any way she could've predicted this, and frankly she quite despised the feeling of not things not falling in place at her will.

However, she was rather glad she had made the choice to leave her two partners behind. They hadn't seemed to direct a lot of attention towards them, but heaven knows how worried they must be at this point.

She had to chalk up a plan, at least alerting them of her unharmed condition.

"I know it's a lot to take in, but I'm here to help out. I'm just as upset as you are over the fact that you're here" her brother calmed her, hand reaching out to clasp onto her shoulder in a comforting grip.

She had to think through her choices. Making a move now would be plain stupid. She'd be in a tighter position when she fails.

Her mind went riot. Confusion swallowing her whole. She wanted to leave, but why? Her friends. But what was making her hesitate. Her brother. Was it really so bad, joining this unheard of organisation to presumably help people? Perhaps.

Her head began to throb as her thoughts went haywire. Everything was in a jumble, her internal thoughts clashing against one another, conflicted.

She had to calm down. It would have help if she had a bottle of aspirin and some drug substance she could abuse but she'd have to make do.

Library? Appealing but she doubt she could focus with all this pent up frustration.

If only she had took up boxing as a kid, that would really help her now.

"Do you have a pool here? And maybe a swimsuit, though that's optional" she finally enquired seconds after her brother's attempt at calming her.

"We do, actually. Do you want me to show you around first?" He offered, only to be turned down as she shook her head firmly.

With a sigh, he motioned for her to follow, to which she obliged. The pair walked in tense silence, both at a loss as to what to say.

"So, Sean. How've you been, brother?" Gracie asked politely.

"I've filled you in as to what's happened. I'm one of the medics here" he explained, eyes avoiding his younger sister's.