Chapter 4

"Well.." The professor exaggerated the word as he stepped further into the grand office. "It's kind of a funny story."

The Headmistress gestured for the two remaining party members to enter her office, before closing the door magically behind them. "Today is full of funny stories," she sighed.

The charming young man she had recently hired to teach first years how to fly winked at her. "Let me introduce myself," he stepped towards her, a flirtatious grin on his face. "Captain Jack Harkness, at your service." As he said that he reached for her hand, and placed a light kiss on her knuckles.

She hid her blush well. "Yes, I know exactly who you are. I hired you."

The blond looked like she wanted to speak, but the professor cut her off before she had the chance. "Yes, yes! Of course you did. The problem is, I've completely lost my schedule. If you could just remind me, where I'm supposed to be, and when, and possibly redirect us to our sleeping quarters, that would be great." He said all of this extremely fast, with a ridiculous amount of energy. He reminded her of a kitten. Fluffy and always excited.

She tried her best to remain calm. "Absolutely, Professor Smith. In fact, I will arrange for you and you companions to be given a full tour of the castle before term officially begins tomorrow."

He smiled that overly enthusiastic smile at her. "That," he paused, "would be fantastic."

"I'm sure Head Girl, Hermione Granger would love to do the honors."

"Excellent," he returned. "When shall we meet her?"

In the end they made plans to meet outside the entrance hall as soon as the start of term feast was over. The Doctor and his two companions now sat at the staff table of the great hall, having just watching the sorting of the first years.

"This must be some kind of trick," The Doctor whispered to Rose. Jack was too busy flirting with another professor to participate in their conversation. "There's no such thing as magic."

"So you're saying you think this entire castle and everyone in it, is some sort of," she paused searching for the right word. "Alien illusion?"

This gave The Doctor pause. He looked out over the tables filled with kids ages eleven to eighteen. Could all of then really be fake? Or part of a more elaborate plan to hurt him and Rose. Honestly, he'd seen stranger things. And they couldn't be real, because magic didn't exist.

He turned his attention back to Rose. "I don't know, but we'll have to find out."

She smiled at him, pleased with his mischievous tone. That was what he enjoyed about her. She was always up for adventure.

They finished their meal with a little bit of small talk here and there, but they were both far more concerned with what could possibly be going on. Their minds were moving at one hundred miles per hour. But they kept to themselves, knowing they were not yet in the right place to talk about it.

After Headmistress McGonagall dismissed them, students began filing out all at once, very eager to get back to their common rooms. In a few minutes, the commotion had died down, and the professors were allowed to make their way to their quarters.

Hermione Granger was, as expected standing just outside the door way. She on her best posture and people pleasing smile, obviously trying to impress her new professor. She had always been The Doctor's favorite character, so looking at her standing true to the brilliant characterization of the books, was one of the coolest, and the weirdest, experience of his 900 years of life.

She was no Emma Watson. She was shorter and curvier, her grin was too big for her face, and her hair was much frizzier, but their was something about her that made The Doctor think she was absolutely stunning.

"It's so very nice to meet you Professor,'' she strutted confidently towards him with an outstretched hand. "I'm Hermione Granger, Head Girl."

"Yes of course, I know who you are," he couldn't stop the smile that was on his face. The confused look made him realize what he ha said.

"You're Headmistress speaks very highly of you," Rose covered it up. "Maybe we should start the tour now?" Was it just him, or did she sound a little agitated?

She went back to her ridiculous grin. "Yes! Absolutely, Miss."

***
Sorry this took so long! We've really busy with testing this week. Next week is summer though! Updates should be faster

Vote and review! <3