fourteen; an unlikely duo

After the incident in the woods Mary had drove straight home, too afraid to venture further out into the woods

After the incident in the woods Mary had drove straight home, too afraid to venture further out into the woods. And upon arriving, she realised her father was still out and her heart sunk to her stomach. She had been hoping he'd be home, so she could try and tell him what she had saw in the woods.

But instead of talking to her father, she called up Steve and spoke to him — not about the faceless creature she were sure she had saw, but about Charlie. She had asked if he had heard from her ex-boyfriend and Steve had told her he hadn't. He had also made a remark about her and Nancy both rambling on about people being missing.

And that's when Mary slowly began putting the pieces together as she sat in a shower, the water warm but her body cold as she sat in the bath, hugging her knees to her chest as the water washed over her.

Will Byers had gone missing and no one had paid it any attention — she hadn't paid it any attention. She assumed he had just ran off or was at a friends house, not that anything bad had actually happened. But that child had shown up dead.

And then there were Nancy, asking around about Barbara and worrying because she hadn't saw her best friend since the party — which were exactly the last time that Mary had also saw Charlie. And she assumed that by the images Jonathan had taken, Barbara too.

People were going missing and Mary feared that Charlie had been one of them. His car being in the middle of nowhere, the gun missing and bullets on the ground were enough to make her believe that he definitely was gone. And then there were the creature Joyce had described.

Mary hadn't saw it properly, not really. There had been too much light from the torch she had shon on its face as it had appeared in front of her — but Joyce was for sure right, it didn't have a face and it did look more human than animal. But it also reminded Mary of a plant — a horrible, disgusting and terrifying plant.

The girl didn't know what to do. She didn't want to report anyone missing, not until her father was back and she could try explaining to him, despite knowing how crazy she would surely sound. But even after her shower and as the night went on, Mary realised her father was pulling an all nighter and not coming back.

Mary couldn't sleep, not even a little. Each time she closed her eyes, she were reminded of the creature and that maybe it had gotten Charlie — and Barb, maybe it had even killed Will too.

And the next morning, her father had only been in ten minutes before he was off again and the girl barely spoke three words to him. And she decided not to go school either and instead went to the library.

She stayed there for hours, reading books on animals and even folklore creatures. But still, she found no connection to the creature she had saw in the woods and that Joyce had been talking about.