014.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
science project

CHAPTER FOURTEEN— science project —

the school let mrs. wheeler take the girls early. she noticed how distracted the two were after the interview and actually needed to talk to them. well, more like yell. "you both lied to the police!"

"we didn't lie!" nancy argued in defense of her and amelia. mrs. wheeler scoffed. "how naive do you think i am?!"

amelia was already leaving the conversation, making her way up to the stairs. nancy surprisingly followed. she wanted this fight with her mom to be over as soon as she could end it. "you and steve were 'just talking' in his room while poor amelia was waiting in wet clothes... on his couch?!"

"we slept together!" nancy shouted. amelia was already half-way up the stairs when nancy said that. "is that what you wanted to know? it doesn't matter!"

"no! it does matter!" mrs. wheeler argued. "no! it's all bullshit!" nancy shouted. "it has nothing to do with barb and she's missing, and something terrible happened to her! i know it! i know it, and no one is listening to me!"

lia was listening. "sweetie, sweetie, i'm listening." mrs. wheeler tugged on nancy's sleeve. "i'm listening to you–"

"no! you're not!" nancy softly pushed her mom away and began going upstairs. she dragged amelia with her. "nancy!" mrs. wheeler shouted. amelia turned her head to mrs. wheeler. "nancy!"

"just leave us alone!" nancy yelled back.

she ran up the stairs to her room with amelia following to avoid talking to mrs. wheeler. as they both entered her room, nancy slammed the door, making amelia jump.

nancy then threw her books on top of her desk and ran crying to her bed. lia noticed the tears in her own eyes, almost ready to stream down her cheeks. why?

the noirette slowly walked to nancy and sat with her. she sat quite awkwardly as she doesn't really know how to comfort someone yet. amelia already knows that she won't be good at it...

"i'm sorry you had to see that." nancy sniffled with her face turned away from her.

amelia shook her head. "it's fine. i just..." she felt weird saying this, but she also felt that she was compelled to. "i never got to experience that."

a quiet moment happened between the two. amelia felt a question brewing for her. "lia?"

amelia gulped before answering, "yeah?"

nancy slowly pulled her backpack closer to her. there was another short pause. "you knew that jonathan was there that night."

the noirette froze, not having a clue of how nancy knew. eventually, amelia just nodded. "yeah." she murmured.