Prolouge

• Dedicated to Everyone! Because you inspired me to keep going :)

Like most nights, he wasn’t sleeping. But tonight, it was for a different reason as to why the bags grew bigger under his emerald eyes.

He had almost killed her. He had wanted to kill her in that instant. Part of him wished he had killed himself the first time when he fell through the void. Why wouldn’t father just kill him already? He had already shown his distaste for his son being out of his cell so why allow him to live? It obviously would make life much easier for the All-Father. 

Her eyes kept him awake, staring at the flames from the large chair he sat in near the fireplace. She had been terrified to begin with, and then… she had welcomed death. She had realized she was going to die and had lost the will to fight, begging to let death take her away this time and he was so cruel to not let her have it.

This was what was upsetting him. She had wanted death, just like him. At first, he thought it was selfish reasons for why he let her live as long as he had, but he could now see it wasn’t that. The thought of her small petite frame lying lifeless and to never stir again madehim inwardly cringe and to think he had almost been the one to snuff the life out of her made him sick to his stomach.

He was a true and utter monster.

If had just let her die that day when she came back from Odin’s “questioning”, perhaps he wouldn’t have almost killed her himself tonight. His eyes slid closed, remembering her broken body lying in the cell and hardly moving. The guards had ignored his cries for them to do something, anything to help her. Anger had fueled him that evening when he focused his magic on her. How he was able to phase it through his cell and into hers was a miracle, as Odin had made sure that he wouldn’t be able to use magic outside his specially designed prison cell. He had mended a few of her bones and major injuries before that oaf she claimed to love had returned.

Oh how he had envied the Crimson Hawk and how he could freely treat her and tend to her needs, though her beloved had not been responsible for her meal that evening she awoke; he had seen to that. But those nights were not the first time he had realized he was bound by some unknown force inside of him to keep her alive. 

The first night Sigyn had arrived, he had heard her screams. Never had he heard such terrible screaming coming from a prisoner. She cried in vain for what he believed to be her family. Not many things make him cringe like her screams did that night; it had carried on for most of the evening. When she had awoken the following morning, she acted as if the dreams had never come to pass, as if she was pushing them down deep inside.

It was that day she had learned his name, that she had said his name without a hint of disgust, but rather in a teasing tone. In an attempt to push aside his growing sympathy from her nightmares, he had snapped back at her. The fear in her eyes that first time, he had seen that again tonight when he had his hands wrapped tightly around her throat.

The next night her screams had kept him from sleeping again. He had tried to block them out, but he could hardly bear to hear her cry out in pain, but he knew it to be the best. It was best for him to remain the monster in her mind, as that was what he truly was and no one would ever see him differently. 

He had told himself this on the third night her screams did not allow him to sleep though he ached to soothe her and relieve her of her nightmares; a woman such as beautiful as she did not deserve to suffer the same torture he endured.

It wasn’t until the fool, Theoric, had taken an interest in her that he began to realize his heart had been slightly snagged. Loki had never trusted Theoric, and that was strange for the God of Lies to admit. Something felt… strange when he was around, and he hated the way he stared at Sigyn, like she was a prize. The night the warrior had promised to fetch her books, he had reached out to soothe her nightmares.

He had created a double of himself and had concentrated on reaching out to her mind when she fell asleep. Unknowingly, their minds had become hopelessly entangled with each other. He had soon realized this when she had been led away to be tortured. He had felt her fear, her pain and her courage when she had passed out during the interrogation. Every night since then, he pushed himself into her mind, to soothe her and allow her some peace and rest; something he could and would never grant himself.

He had even done this when she left the prison and had given his room. It was funny how he knew the moment she set foot in there, picking over the books and selecting which one to choose to read for the evening. The magic in his room clung to her body and had healed her, comforted her and allowed him to reach out easier to her without draining himself as much as before. Their minds continuing their dance, though she hardly knew it. 

He had not known the opposite effects until the first night he had spent in his old room. His nightmares had triggered hers. He couldn’t bear to inflict that upon her again, though his body ached to sleep. That’s when he had heard her screams in Theoric’s room, her screams. His body jumped awake, wishing to dash into her room, but he couldn’t. Damn Odin and his charms placed around his room to keep him prisoner; Sigyn needed him.

But that hadn’t stopped him before.

His mind raced as he uttered a few fell spells under his breath, trying to break through the invisible walls. He had to get to her, to protect her and tell her she was not a monster, not like he was…

---

“Are you quite done?” Loki seethed as his newest master sifted through memories, his memories of her.

“Perhaps… But don’t you like having the chance to relive them? After all, that’s all you’ll have when you carry out my wishes. Unless, you would like for me to get someone else to do it?” 

Loki’s horned helmet bowed in defeat. His master had asked for her death, and though he did not know why he wished for her head, he knew he had to protect her. Since the first time he had reached out to her, he had been bound to her and she to him.

“No, my master. I will do what needs to be done.” 

“I know you will.” The man grinned, leaning forward in his seat as to stare the God in the face. “For when she asks for death this time," The man's grin growing and Loki's face remaining stone cold without emotion.

"You will not hesitate in giving it to her.”