Bugger All

Scorpius Malfoy did not enjoy the taste of crow, but here he was, gobbling down a whopping heap of it just to help his best friend enjoy a taste of escapism for one night. "Can you help me or not, Potter?"

James Potter pulled a face at the young Malfoy. "Why the ever-loving fuck would you ask me, Malfoy? Why not one of the older Slytherins?"

"You think I would be here if I thought any of them could swing it on such short notice? Look, you have a reputation, Potter. And if it helps, I'm asking for Albus."

It did not help. Not one bit. James leaned back in his chair and allowed an obscenely self-indulgent pregnant pause to fester between them. He enjoyed his moment of power before speaking. "Well, isn't that romantic?"

"You know what? Forget it. I'll find another way."

"Hold on a second, Malfoy. I didn't say I wouldn't do it. I just want to know why Teacher's Pet and Wunderfreak all of a sudden have a hankering for some Firewhisky."

"Good Firewhisky. Don't forget that part."

"Whatever. Why does my brother need it?"

Scorpius hesitated. The glimmer in James's eyes looked a tad too unhealthy to be born out of sheer curiosity. On the other hand, he needed his help. "Girl problems."

James snorted. "As if I should be fucking surprised. He'll probably die a virgin."

"Thank you very much for your assessment, arsehole. If you'll excuse me." He turned to leave but James stopped him.

"I'll help you. For a price."

"We've already established I can pay you whatever you want, Potter."

"Not money. Well...not just money. You're throwing a little pity party for my brother, yeah?"

"Yes?"

"I want in."

Scorpius snorted. "You want to hang out and get drunk with me, Simon and your brother; none of whom you like, all of whom you have bullied?"

"Correct. Although I do resent the term 'bully.'"

Scorpius ignored the urge to point out that absolutely no other word would suffice. "Why?"

He shrugged. "Brotherly concern. It's moments like these we should be there for each other." That, and he probably figured he couldn't pass up an opportunity to collect potential blackmail on his younger brother.

Scorpius didn't buy the concerned brother act for a second. But his need for James's advanced age and sleazy connections won out. "Fine. Whatever. I don't care."

"Super. That'll be one hundred and fifty Galleons, please."

"What?"

*

Albus fell gracelessly on his arse, luckily without spilling a drop of Firewhisky. He brought the bottle to his lips. "Everyone. I've come to a very important desh-ision." He was at that special level of intoxication where he struggled with certain consonants. "Life...is hard."

Simon snorted. "Compared to what?"

"No, no, no, no, you don't get it," Albus sputtered. "It's love. Why is it so important when all it does is make shit harder? Why do we do it?"

"Digging a little deep there, Al," Scorpius said, grimacing at the burn of the Firewhisky. The superior quality of the liquor was utterly wasted on the fourteen-year-olds who hadn't the foggiest idea of what good liquor was supposed to taste like.