she's my guardian angel

"How can I help you?" I asked the customer standing across from me

"I'd like a croissant," they ordered. Just a croissant? That sounds boring. Well, it's what they ordered.

I handed a warm croissant over to the paying customer before they went off to eat.

I noticed that Jasper spent his time repainting the Maya's sign in white and brown. He always seemed to gaze at the sign longingly. Maya must have been someone important to him. Maybe family?

"Fiancé," Monty answered my thoughts. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Oh," my concerned expression didn't go unnoticed. Jasper passed down a mug of hot cocoa after he was finished repainting.

"Don't," Jasper said and my eyes widened.

"Don't what?"

"Don't say that you're sorry or whatever. I don't need that," he chugged down his own mug.

I sipped the delicious beverage awkwardly, seeking comfort from it.

"Okay," I said. "Fiancé, huh?"

"Yeah...," he blushed, reminiscing quietly.

"That's kind of young, isn't it?"

"We were in love. If I was ever going to marry someone, it would have been her. She was the one," he sighed, looking up. "It's okay, though, because now, she's my guardian angel."

"How'd she die?" I asked and Monty nearly choked on his drink, Jasper patting him on the back.

"Leukemia won in the end," he answered unfazed. "But she was a fighter. She wasn't weak....she just....lost."

"She's in a better place," I said and put my hand over Jaspers. He nodded.

The door opened and in came Bellamy. He took a long glance at Jasper and my hands, his eyes widening. "Did I miss something?"

Our hands separated instantly. "No!" We both clarified.

"Oh, okay," he sighed. He was relieved. I blushed at the thought.

"How can I help you?" I asked him.

"I actually came to see you," Bellamy said.

"Oh, really?" I blushed.

"Yep, I just wanted to check up on you. You know, see how you're doing...,"

I giggled. "I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the other way around."

He responded with a laugh. May the awkward staring commence.

"So how's the job, Blake?" Minty finally broke the silence.

"It's good. It's a breather from everything that's been going on lately," Bellamy replied.

"And how's Octavia?" asked Jasper.