I'm just getting old, she thought, looking back at her reflection. Do most women lose interest once they turn thirty? Her mind flashed to Mark Spinelli—that blue stare and arrogant attitude. Languid warmth spread through her, the sensation foreign and somewhat surprising. Shocked by her own reaction, she let out a girlish giggle. Hey, I guess I'm not that old after all.

Her final accessory was the ankle holster she strapped to the outside of her right calf. Despite the fact that the 22 mini was the smallest revolver she had, there was nowhere else to put it under all the clingy material. Since she was working, she had to take something but doubted it would be needed at this party of stuffed shirts.

Once her parents arrived to pick up Janine, she and Tom left.

The SunsetTower in West Hollywood was a thirty-minute drive from their house. A number of people were already milling about inside the hotel's first-floor banquet hall when they arrived. "I'm late," Tom complained. "You should have told your parents to come earlier."

Somehow it is always my fault. She kept her comeback to herself.

"And why did you bring him?" he all but hissed in her ear.

Virginia followed his gaze across the room to find Jack in deep conversation with a young woman. "I trust him, that's why," she snapped back.

Tom stomped off. He was well aware of how her partner felt about him. Jack wasn't the type to hold back when he saw something he didn't like.

Left alone she started walking around, doing the security thing, making mental notes of all the exits and the number of people in the room. Tom hadn't been kidding—there were some important and famous people among the guests. Even she recognized some of the political figureheads.

She was looking right at him when Jack finally spotted her. He made a show of bringing his hand up and placing it over his heart. As he made his way through the crowd, his assessment was filled with admiration and surprise.

"Damn," he said upon reaching her. "You look fantastic."

She was taller than him in her heels. For some reason it made her laugh. "I take it you've never seen me in a dress?"

"No." His eyes swept over her with eager appreciation.

"Easy, tiger, it's still me, not one of your little conquests."

His grin was slow and secretive. "I'm a patient man."

What? What was he—?

Seeing her bug-eyed response, Jack cleared his throat. "Okay." He rubbed his hands together, turning his attention to the rest of the room. "I'll take the outside." He pointed over to a set of open doors leading out to a large patio where guests had grouped together to mingle in the warm, August evening air. There seemed to be just as many people outside as inside.

He headed out there.

She knew he had his eye on one group in particular—a large circle of women standing together, talking. Not something she wanted to go join in on, but he would have no problem getting to know them. She watched the women's reaction as he approached, their body language changing from relaxed, gossipy friends to that of stand-up-straight, chest-out competitors. They were now all rivals for Jack's attention. Virginia wasn't blind. She knew why women were drawn to him. Hazel eyes shone their earthy tones when he broke into that wide grin of his, making him look like a mischievous boy trying to charm his way out of trouble. Tawny colored hair was thick and layered into a shag-like style. Even the mustache suited him, putting him in an era that befitted his car.