29: The Birthday Surprise

You didn't care at all about what Bum had to say, but you figured you could be nice enough and go do some chores. As you went downstairs to clean up the mess that was left behind, you heard Bum start his story.

"When I was young..."

You weren't quite sure when to go back up however. Ten minutes should be enough. Before you had gone down, Sangwoo had stood up and retrieved the apples for you. He knew they were your favorite, so naturally he  brought some back for you.

You scrubbed the blood stain on the floor until it was only slightly darker. Your favorite part of course, was pouring the hydrogen peroxide on the blood stains. It fizzed up so much and got so hot. Chemistry was just incredibly interesting to you. Perhaps in another life you would have gone to college and majored in organic chemistry.

After that was all completed, you started on an apple. You figured this was about fifteen minutes and that he must have been finishing up his story by now. I'll go up after I eat the apple, throw the core away and see if the cake's ready.

Upstairs however, was progressing a little differently than expected. Sangwoo was cleaning up around the kitchen while Bum wandered around telling his story as he pleased. Sangwoo thought he looked pathetic. His stupid little face was weepy, and his face looked... well it looked like Bum wasn't home. And he wasn't. Bum, while telling the story to Sangwoo, was sucked back into his horrible flashback. He was wandering around, as if looking for his uncle; checking that his uncle wouldn't just pop in.

 Eventually, you decided it was time for you to go back upstairs and throw away the core. As you walked up the stairs, you thought about how delicious that piece of fruit had been.

Man, I wish I had more. They're so juicy, yet so crispy. Who likes mushy apples anyway? Crisp is always, always better.

You opened the door from the basement and nearly bumped into Bum.

"Oh, excuse me, Bu--"

Searing pain. Hot, searing pain in your shoulder. You looked down to see the hilt of the cake knife sticking out of your shoulder. As Bum pulled the knife back out, you began falling backwards.

The blade... must have gone... all the... way... through... You stumbled backwards down the stairs, falling but trying to avoid knocking yourself unconscious. As the blood seeped down your shirt, you looked forward, unsure of how to proceed.

Bum on the other hand, had sliced his wrist and he knew exactly what to do next. He wandered towards Sangwoo, who was frozen in shock.

"Sangwoo..." He showed him his wrist. He wanted his attention. Bum wanted Sangwoo to ignore you and care for him. He needed him to prove his love for him.

Finally, Sangwoo spoke.

"Hey... What the hell do you think you're doing?" He nudged him with his bare foot. "Hey. Get up. You ignoring me? I said, get up! I'm talking here! Get the fuck up!" He continued staring down at him. Then, he heard your voice.

"S-Sang?" You gently called out as your eyes swam in your head. You were losing a lot of blood and quickly.

"So you're not gonna get up, hm?... Fine. Just die then. I'll save the love of my life and let you bleed out on the floor like the swine you are. You're sick. Thinking you could get away with that. You deserve to die."

As he ran down to you, he grabbed gauze and super glue. It was all he had for the type of wound you had acquired. If you could just hold on, he would save you.

"S-Sang? Did you come for me?" You asked weakly.

"Of course I came for you. Of course, of course, of course. I love you so much. Please just hang on. You'll be fine. You're so tough." He ripped your shirt off, leaving you in your plain, black bra.

"D-d-did you k-kill him?" You shivered, cold from the lack of blood.

You flinched as Sangwoo glued your wounds together and wrapped it in gauze.

"No... I guess I didn't..." Sangwoo lifted you up and carried you up the stairs, grabbing his baseball bat on the way up. "But I will..."

It took you a few moments to put together what was happening and as he sat you gently in a chair, you found the strength to call out.

"No... Keep him alive..."

Sangwoo snapped out of it and saw the man he loved bleeding out on the floor.