Terrible Love

Day 1

                                                “it takes an ocean not to break”

Zayn had comforted me after my shower. I had to change into the institute’s nightgown. It was a simple gray linen cloth. Like a dress but without the intricate details of one.

He held me close to his body, telling me everything will be all right and that I shouldn’t worry.

He tucked me into bed and kissed my forehead. “I’ll come back tomorrow, ok?”

I wasn’t expecting for him to leave but I also wasn’t expecting him to stay. I nodded, a little nervous of his absence. I knew there wasn’t anything to worry about but I still felt scared.

I awoke with the sunlight shining through the bare window. I made a mental note that I had to get a curtain here somehow. I looked outside the room and I saw people my age lined up, walking toward the cafeteria. I grabbed my robe and walked with them.

I sat down with my plate of food, pancakes and what looked like vegetarian bacon. “You’re gunna eat there, slim?” the boy sat across from me asked in a teasing tone.

“Slim?” I picked at my food, not looking at his face.

“Are you going to eat or not?” he pressed. His face inching closer to mine as the table allowed.

I ended up eating the pancakes, all of us under speculation. I felt wary under the keeper’s gaze but I managed to eat.

We went through a line procedure and I was handed medication that I swallowed dried. It burned my throat but it was better than the stale taste of the drinking water they had given us.

I waited, sitting in the chair by the deck. The sunlight shining down on the garden while people took strolls and stopped to smell the flowers sprouting from the ground. The sleeves of my shirt itched my skin but I didn’t let it bother me, I was determined to stay as still as possible until he came to visit and stay for the day.

“Sorry I kept you waiting,” my shoulders relaxed once I felt his hands soothing them, his physical presence obviously doing something to me I didn’t understand.

I shook my head, “it’s fine, glad you’re here though,” he smiled down at me before he leaned down to kiss my forehead. A few people were turned our way but he didn’t pay them as much attention as I did, suddenly feeling scrutinized and judged under their stares.

His hands traveled down my arms, resting them on my hands, “you’ll be out soon, I promise.” I appreciated his kindness and affections but I knew it was far from soon for my dismissal.