19

Weekdays, from 8:25 a.m. to 3:01 p.m., we adhere to a strict regimen, everything in our lives controlled. But the something like the murder of Jason Blossom happens, and you realize there is no such thing as control. There is only chaos. Nevertheless, some of us strive to impose and maintain order, in what is fundamentally, an orderless world. A fact which would very soon be confirmed, in ways none of us could have foreseen.

Jughead was playing a video game at Archie's, while Archie read, and I was sat between Jughead's leg, watching him play the game. Fred came in to tell us that he was heading out, and not just for the day, but for the entire weekend.

"Sorry to be missing your birthday this weekend, Jug." He apologised.

"Oh, you will not be missing anything, Mr. Andrews." It was true that Jughead hated his birthday. It reminded him of times he had been let down. Memories of a drunken dad ruining parties, dinners and family nights meant that his birthday wasn't something he wanted celebrating. I completely understood because it was for similar reasons that I hated my own birthday. "I barely acknowledge my own birthday." Archie left to talk to his dad, presumably to say goodbye. I turned around and looked at Jughead who had paused the game to look back at me. Despite our different backgrounds, we weren't that different. We both didn't get on brilliantly with our parents, we felt like we had to live up to expectations, we hated our birthday and we found happiness in each other.

"What are we doing for your birthday then?" He thought for a moment before suggesting that we go and see a movie before coming back to the Andrews' house and spending a night cuddled on the sofa. To me, that was the perfect scenario. There wouldn't be parents disturbing us and we wouldn't have to talk to anyone we didn't really like.

At the movies, Jughead had his arm around my shoulders. I wore a high-waisted black skirt with a rose embroidered bralet, with a red jacket to keep me warm. We had exchanged minor talk throughout the movie, commenting on the movie, as well as people that entered the theatre.

We walked into Fred's house, laughing. Jughead was kissing my cheek as I opened the door, pushing him back slightly.

"I can't believe you were scared, that's funny to me." He said lowly, as we made our way into the living room area. Jughead entered first and when he did, the lights were turned on and our friends jumped out from where they were hidden.

"SURPRISE!" Jughead looked over at me in shock, while my face mirrored his. When was this planned? I knew that I had been hanging out with Cheryl after Veronica beating her during cheer practise, but I thought that I would have been included on discussion about my boyfriend's surprise party. Maybe the group didn't view me as a friend, but just another Cheryl Blossom. Jughead raised an eyebrow at me, asking if I knew anything about this. I shook my head sadly. Archie hugged him, already showing signs he had had too many drinks. Every person, in turn, hugged Jughead. Instantly, I knew this had been a Betty idea. Jughead spoke to these people, but wasn't close with many of them. He viewed Archie, Betty, maybe Veronica, and I as inner circle.

Betty had left the room when we arrived, coming in with a cake lit up with candles. She began singing. From where I was stood, off to the side of the room, I saw our friends smiling, but Jughead wasn't. He looked scared, as if reliving past birthdays in the space of a few seconds. She hugged his side while he blew out the candles. We all clapped when they were out, Veronica walked off, Archie following her. Betty had taken the cake back and I moved over to Jughead, hugging him silently. He wrapped his arms around my exposed waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Ice cream?" I whispered. He nodded. Betty followed us as we made our way into the kitchen. Veronica, her mascara smudged, was hugging Archie.

"Sorry I'm just not in the party mood like I usually am." I wanted to ask why. I wanted to feel like I was part of the group, but the truth was, I was feeling even more disconnected than usual.

"That makes two of us," added Jughead. Make that three was what I said, but was ignored by everyone in the room. I wished, instead of being at the 'party', I was with Cheryl, going crazy, and doing something I shouldn't have been, because looking at the people who were supposed to be my friends, I felt empty.

"You're not upset that we threw you a party, are you?" Betty asked, turning to Jughead.

"It is nice, Betty. I appreciate it. It's just I would be happier if it were the five of us at a booth at Pop's." He lowered his voice so that the people in the living room didn't hear him. They had come to make his birthday special and he knew that, but just wished that it were under better circumstances. Betty lowered her voice so that I couldn't hear what they were saying from where I stood. I was in the doorway of the kitchen, the front door behind me. The doorbell rang as their argument appeared to get heated. We turned around to see the door swing open to reveal Cheryl strutting in. She smiled, stopping to welcome others in. The football team poured in as well as the majority of the student body. Jughead rolled his eyes, walking back into the kitchen as I smirked at my sister and her evil plans. I was annoyed she ruined the pathetic party, but I was happy that I at least had her to talk to.

I ran outside, looking for Jughead. Eventually I found him in the garage, hiding from everyone at the party. He was petting Archie's dog. He smiled slightly at my entry as I went to sit by him. Jug knew that I had nothing to do with this. Not 5 minutes later, a drunk Archie walks in asking Jughead thought Valerie wanted him back.

"Archie..." I tried to warn, knowing that Jughead was angry. He was angry at Betty for planning this, and fuming that Archie let this happen. Anyone who knew Jughead would know that a party, even a small one wasn't his idea of fun.

"As my blood brother, it was your sole responsibility to ensure that something like this never happened on my birthday," Arche took a seat on the sofa and I wasn't sure whether he was listening or not. Jughead was frustrated that the first birthday that we are experiencing together is his and he hates it. "Now we're here, in the middle of a Seth Rogen movie." Those words seemed to sober Archie up more than a cup of water could.

"This was Betty's idea. I just went along with it." Defended Archie, not wanting Jughead to be any more upset with him than he already was.

"It's so not me."

"It doesn't matter. You're Cynthia Blossom, the Princess of Riverdale's, boyfriend. You were her date to exclusive Blossom events. You're in our circle now." It was starting to annoy me that being my boyfriend was something that was defining Jughead. 'Cynthia Blossom's boyfriend' seemed like a grand title, but I was just like anyone else.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, beating Jughead to it. I had nothing to do with this party, so I didn't get why I was being brought up. Yes, I was mildly popular, but that was only through Cheryl.

"That Jughead gets a birthday party, or has to attend them, whether you want to go or not." Archie said to Jughead. I saw him roll his eyes and turn away. A knock on the door turned our attention away from the conversation we were having. The person that walked in wasn't someone I expected to see at a high school party, or even Jughead's birthday party. In fact, I didn't expect him to be around on Jughead birthday at all. In the midst of the disagreement, in walk FP Jones.

p and !ą