Part 5

Alf came over. “You should use your debit card.”

  “I haven’t got one, pointy ears. I haven’t registered with the authorities yet,” he dropped his coffee on the floor, “Yaaagh, it’s gone on my foot.” He thumped the machine again.

  A computer voice rebuked him saying, “Please do not thump me anymore, I have run out of change.”

  Alf used his debit card and gave a cup of coffee to Sid and got one for himself. They sat down together and chatted.

  “Nice bit of manoeuvring there past those dark sentries, especially as you’ve only been flying for two weeks,” complimented Alf.

  “Thanks Alf, but these ships are easier to steer than a donkey and the onboard computer helps you.”

  Suddenly a pink elephant came in through the canteen doors with an Indian princess seated on his back.

  “Wha…,” they both whaaed.

  Then Trelainne came in waving a box. “Sorree,” she said, “I’m not used to this holo projector yet. I’ll make the hologram go away.” So the Indian princess vanished, leaving just the pink elephant behind.

  Suddenly, an alarm started to sound. When Arthur looked out at the meteor field he saw a small shuttlecraft approaching. He sent out a transmission. “Calling shuttlecraft, what is your destination?”

  There was crackling on the other end of the line; even when the pig got off there was still crackling.