27| GONE BOY

"When I had you to myself, I didn't want you around. Those pretty faces always make you stand out in a crowd. But someone picked you from the bunch, one glance is all it took. Now it's much too late for me to take a second look."

-The Jackson 5

(I Want You Back, The Jackson 5)

-FLASHBACK-

Eddie knew it was a good thing that Richie made him promise that he wouldn't go back to the old house that he discovered on Monday. If he didn't make that promise to Richie, he would have broken it already. It could have been anybody else and Eddie would have gone right back to the house to see why it creeped him out so much. But it wasn't just anybody, it was Richie and that meant Eddie had to keep his word because he'd never break a promise he made to Richie Tozier.

The two had gone back there together to retrieve Eddie's fanny pack but by the time they went back, it was gone. Eddie was upset but his sadness disappeared the next day when he opened his locker and found a new fanny pack waiting for him. What made it even more special was the card that laid under it. Eddie already knew Richie got it for him and that made it a lot better.

He had never gotten the chance to thank him because most of his attention was going towards Peter. Eddie had been planning on breaking up with him but it never seemed like the right time. He was waiting for Peter to be happy but he was always mad about something. If he weren't angry about Eddie mentioning Richie, he'd be angry about Eddie staring at his best friend. Peter would always have something to be upset about and Eddie knew that wasn't going to change anytime soon. The only time Peter would act remotely happy is during the creative writing club when he talked to Bill.

Eddie was happy to see him talking to one of the losers. Peter was surprisingly patient with Bill's stutter and the two could talk about anything and everything. Eddie didn't mind, whenever Bill was talking to Peter, he could pass notes with Richie. Even though Eddie was getting to talk to Richie, everything was still slowly falling apart. He wasn't able to be with Richie. Just talking to him didn't seem enough anymore. They were friends and Eddie was fine with that when they were twelve, but now they were seventeen and their innocent friendship was gone.

Eddie planned on breaking up with Peter and once he gained the courage to do so, he would leave Derry without looking back. He knew that Peter had a crush on Bill and it didn't bother him in the slightest. Eddie wasn't bothered when he always talked about Bill. Eddie wasn't bothered when his boyfriend would roll his eyes at Stanley because he was in love with the stuttering boy. Eddie wasn't bothered when he caught Peter trying to kiss Bill. He should have been upset about it but he wasn't. Eddie was only bothered when Peter told him to not talk to Richie.