Chapter 40 ~ A Change of Heart?

*unedited*

Using a tall snake plant sitting not far from Leah's room to hide him from view, Charles waited as Wren and Leah's voices came closer. Butler and Heiress came into view as they neared the top of the staircase, and he pressed himself further into the shadows.

"I have mixed feelings about tomorrow," Leah said. He noted both were in none too big of a hurry to separate from the other and thus, moved at a snail's pace to Leah's bedroom door.

"Why? I thought you would be excited to bring Fiona home."

"I am! Don't get me wrong. I can't wait to have her back in the Kingsley Mansion. Its just.."

Leaning against the wall, Wren crossed his arms. His tender gaze caused Charles's teeth to clench. "It's just?" He pressed.

"I lose you." The frank way she stated this stabbed at Charles. When had she ever worried about losing him? Jealousy made him wish he had followed through with his plans to get rid of the butler. When the time came to convince Samantha, he'd changed his mind and instead paced the halls waiting for Leah's return. He squinted through the long green blades, noting as Wren's eyes turned softer, caressing Leah's face with every sweep of a glance.

"You're not going to lose me Leah. I'm staying here for a year. No matter what. And, if I take you up on your offer as your body guard..."

Charles stifled a curse. A body guard?

"Have you considered my offer?" Leah sounded hopeful.

Curious to hear Wren's response,  he strained to hear but it was not to be. Samantha's door, which was not but a few feet from him, opened. Cursing under his breath at the interruption, Charles willed himself to blend into the darkness that helped hide him. Thankfully, Samantha didn't even glance his way as she was focused on Wren and Leah. He could see the strong dislike on both their face as Samantha approached.

"I have something to say to you two." The sad broken tone of Samantha's voice startled Charles, as well as alarmed him.

Leah seemed no more convinced than he felt. She crossed her arms. "What would that be?"

There was a pause before Samantha did something none of them had ever seen. She started crying. "I - I just want to tell you, I'm sorry."

Disbelief etched Leah's face and she and Wren swapped doubtful glances. "Sorry? Really?"

"Yes. I realized today that I have no friends. I don't want to live that way and so...I have decided to change." Her voice rang with determination and to Charle's dismay, Leah's expression softened.

"Surely she doesn't believe her?" His mind screamed. He could tell Wren didn't.

"It can be lonely not to have friends, can't it?" Leah said.

Charles wanted to slap his palm on his face. She was believing it!

"Yes." Samantha reached up to wipe what Charles could only imagine to be fake tears. "I'm so sick of it, Leah!"

There was a long pause during that moment. Leah broke it. "It's not too late to change."

Nodding, Samantha sniffed. "That is the conclusion I came up with too. I plan on proving to you I've changed. I don't expect you to just believe me.Starting by giving Wren back."

To say everyone didn't feel affected by this announcement would be an understatement. Wren coughed, Leah's jaw dropped, and Charles jerked like he had been burned.