I Promise - Prologue

PROLOGUE

Zzzz...

Zzzz...

Zzzz...

"BOO!"

"AARRGGHHHHH!" I screamed, falling from my bed onto the cold wooden floorboards. When i'd finally collected myself together, I stood up. Hand's on my Hips like i'd seen Harriet do many times, I faced my best friend, Kieran. He looked at the look on my face and stood in front of me, hands on his hips, mimicking me.

"That wasn't funny" I said, frowning

"It was! You should have seen your face! Now hurry, Jamie! We're going to be late!" He ran out of my room, calling to me over his shoulder "And your Mom's making pancakes!" As soon as he said that, I pulled on my old Jeans and a blue top that was laying on my floor and legged it down the stairs to see my Mom flipping pancakes with a fascinated Kieran stood next to her. She laughed at his interested face (which consisted of him with wide eyes and an open mouth) before turning to me.

"Morning, Sweetheart!" She said in her sing-song voice. Dad wasn't home then. Whenever Dad was home, she would be like a mute; not daring to say a word incase she upset him. Thinking about him, I pulled the sleeve on my top down a little to hide the purplish-yellow bruise that was there from last week when he'd gotten drunk and couldn't find anything to break so he turned to me.

"Morning Mum!" I decided to try and take my mind of him while he was working. The most I thought about him, the most I hated him.

I sat down at the table, in my regular seat and so did Kieran. He's over at my house that much that he had a regular seat and I do at his house. Our houses are joined onto each other so were neighbours although we are either both at my house or his since we won't leave each others side. My house is His along with all my stuff and Visa Versa.

After 10 minutes we'd all finished our pancakes. Kieran was sat right back in his chair, rubbing his stomach. I was doing the same and Mum was cleaning the plates when the door opened to reveal a tired and angry looking Dad.

"Maggie" He said, in an angry tone.

"Kieran lets go!" I tried to laugh but he looked at me questionly as we made our way outside. "I'll meet you at the bus stop in 5 minutes. I forgot something, ok?"

"Sure" He said, shrugging. I walked a bit back to my house before I heard my name being called. "Jamie! Hurry up because I have something I want to... Erm... Give you" He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand before giving me a slight wave as I ran back home.

I opened the door to the sound of the TV blaring and the smell of metal and booze. I walked into the Living Room first to see Dad passed out with around a dozen bottles surrounding the floor where he lay. Then the Dining Room where there was nothing. I slowly made my way into the Kitchen to see my Sisters and Brothers crowded all around something.

"Jamie" Said Peter, standing

"What's going on?" I asked. Then I saw. My mother was laying on the floor, Bloody and Unconcious.

"Calm down, Jamie!" Peter exclaimed, covering my mouth to stop the screaming. He croutched down infront of  me and looked me in the eye. "Now. Go upstairs and pack a bag, we're leaving" He stood back up.

"Where are we going and what about Kieran?" I cried

"Away. And Kieran will have to stay here"

"Can't we bring him with us?"

"No. Now unless you want to stay here on your own with Dad then go and get your stuff ready" He croutched back down to look after a now awoken Mum as I made my way back upstairs. Then I remembered Kieran at the bus stop. I darted down the street and saw him waiting for me.

"Listen, Kieran! I have to go and I can't explain but i'm sure you'll hear from your parents! Just please listen to what I have to say. I'm going and I need to telll you that your my best friend and I wont forget you. I promise you that I'll come back for you. We will be best friends forever but until I see you again, I have to go." We linked pinkys, him still a little stunned. I hugged him tight and then feeling brave, pressed my lips to his briefly. When I pulled away from him, he was staring at me, probably shocked but I hugged him once more before sprinting down the street, afraid if I looked back, I'd break down and cry.

As I reached the house and saw my mother, battered adn bruised yet again, I knew that instant three things.

1. I hated my father

2. I would keep my promise to Kieran

3. We had to leave, now.