21 - A Fond Farewell

"Ada, please wait up!"

Legolas called out to his father, the king's gait as determined as ever despite his heavy heart. But he was not going to let his father walk away again so easily from his chance of finding even the smallest bit of happiness.

"I know that you think you must stay, but please don't bury your reawakened spirit again beneath that excruciating self-denial of yours."

He had soon caught up with him, Tauriel on his heels, who listened intently to their unfolding conversation.

"You don't understand son," Thranduil said without looking at him. "I must do this. It is my duty as king. I always must serve my people first. And may I remind you that we are not speaking of a lifeless necklace for once, but of a young warrior who has not only gone through many hardships in his life, but who also was willing to give his life to save mine and Odmund's. He deserves that I do everything in my power to save him. Mine is a small sacrifice in comparison to his."

Legolas nodded slightly abashed, but still he would not give up so easily. If his father was not going to take his fate in his hands, then he would need to take it for him.

"I understand that you must always be a king first, but you could leave that heavily locked door of duty slightly ajar."

Thranduil stopped in his tracks to take a good look at his son. The earnest warmth in his eyes touched his heart. "I very much value your concern for me and I promise you that I intend to stay on the path I chose, but for now I have another favour to ask of you."

"Yes?" Legolas inquired, glad to be of help.

"I need you to fetch me some athelas. I fear that I will need it, even though Faeldir might not suffer from a poisonous wound."

"Yes, of course. I will not come back without it. Anything else that you wish for me to do?" Legolas looked into his father's eyes and the echo of his emotional upheaval on Ravenhill shone through their slightly dimmed crystal blue.

"No, that would be all. But be sure to make haste." Thranduil sought to focus on the task that lay ahead of him. He was a skilled healer, but he felt unusually weak today. It would not be easy for him to conjure up the strength he needed.

"I will." Legolas had already turned around when Thranduil called him back.

"One more thing: If you happen to come across Mithrandir you might want to bring him along with you." With an unmistakable sneer he added: "This should not be a too difficult task as the wizard seems to be always around, even when no one has been asking for him."

Legolas nodded obediently, slightly more at ease. "Do not trouble yourself father. I shall be back in no time with athelas in my hand and Mithrandir by my side."

And with those words he took towards the old market and was soon gone from sight.

"May I walk with you my lord?" Tauriel asked tentatively, seeing that Thranduil had already resumed his brisk pace, and when he indicated his approval with a sharp nod, they both walked in silence, passing people that were searching for their loved ones, children crying and mothers weeping. The royal tent was only a few more corners away and the alleys through which they strode were littered with debris and corpses, a pitiful sight that left neither the king nor his head of guard unmoved.