Chapter Twelve

"Here we are," I said putting the car in park in front of their house. 

"Do you guys want to come inside?" Harrison asked stepping out of the car. 

"Sure," Afia said jumping out of the car.

"So have you decided where the baby's room is going to be?" I asked even though I knew the answer. Harrison and I had picked it out when we were thinking about starting a family. It would be the one directly across from the Master bedroom. 

"Yeah, we have. I wanted the one down the hall but Harrison insisted on the one across from our bedroom," Amelia said. 

"I just thought that it'd be the perfect room that's all," Harrison said.

"Can we see it?" Jack asked. 

"Of course," she said taking him by the hand and leading him upstairs. Afia, Harrison and, I trailed behind them.

"You don't mind?" Harrison asked at a whisper leaning in towards me. I shook my head no. I really didn't mind. His house, his life, his rules. I didn't have a say in it even if I wanted to. But I was beginning to get the feeling that if I did mind, Harrison would change it in an instant. 

When we walked into the room it was empty except for a dark glossy wooden crib.

"This is gorgeous," I said running my hands along it.

"Don't touch," she said moving my arm out of the way. Then Afia touched the crib. I looked back to see her laughing. She was going to start messing with Amelia. She'd put her hand on it only to get scolded by Amelia and the second she looked away she'd put her hand back on it.

"Will you guys stop?" She said raising her voice.

"Sorry. You know what I have an idea," I said.

"Oh gosh what," she said putting her hand on her forehead.

"Me and Afia will plan your baby shower! You look so tired, and exhausted we just want to help you out. It'll be our gift to you."

"No, nope. I have friends who can do that."

"Amelia just let them do it. Your friends can plan out something else," Harrison said. 

"Like a bridal shower?" She said the excitement building in her voice.

"In due time," Harrison said slowly. I could tell he was lying.

 "Fine, you guys can do it but don't mess shit up."

"We won't let you down," Afia said. 

"I'm going to go outside if you don't mind. I need to make a few calls," I said lying. After fumbling around with my purse  for a bit outside, I heard a dog yapping and barking at my feet.

"Um?" I asked looking down at my feet.

"I'm sorry, come here Glen," he said motioning the dogs towards him. When the dog didn't budge he decided to scoop him up.

"Glen?" I asked.

"I know, it's not really a dog name. You can blame my brother he lives right next door. Is this your place right here?"

"Um, well no. I mean it was, it used to be. But not anymore. It's a long story."

"I see, well I'm Nathan, or Nate. And you are?"

"Oh I'm Reagan. Just Reagan," I said extending my arm out.

"Well it's nice to meet you Reagan. And maybe if you've got a chance you can tell me about that long story of yours," he said.

"I'd love to," I said waving goodbye to him. When he walked I away, I felt my eyes looking him up and down. What was I doing? Was I checking him out? He was handsome, no doubt about it but did I really want to get involved with someone new? I had a track record of my relationships not working out. Logan, and Harrison were prime examples. But still, I just couldn't help myself. I wanted to get to know this guy.

***

"So we've got the food down, the dress down, the venue is locked in place," I said looking between Afia and Jack. 

"Well, it wouldn't be a wedding without any guests, and for those guests to know that there is a wedding going on, we need invitations." 

"I forgot all about that," I confessed.

"Oh and don't forget we're planning Amelia's baby shower." 

"Thanks for stressing me out more," I said. 

"That's life," she said shrugging. 

"Okay, let's start with the guest list. Who do you guys want to invite?" 

"Well we kind of want an intimate small ceremony. So close friends and family. So obviously me and jack's parents,  and your parents." 

"A couple of my guy friends, and a couple of hers." Jack interjected. 

"Obviously you, Harrison, and I guess the baby bump has to come too." 

"Sadly," I said sighing. 

"I can just imagine her bringing that other guy to the wedding."

"I know right. But she'd be classy about it. Something about how he was some sort of close friend, and his girlfriend just broke up with him, and she was helping him get over it. That kind of phony, bullshit." 

"Hell, we might as well keep one spot open for him," Afia said laughing.

***

"Okay so I think we're at 39," Afia said as we were finishing finalizing the guest list.

"And if Amelia's fling shows up we'll have 40." I said smiling.

"Okay, so I've barely gotten a word in for as long as we've been planning this thing. So I'm going to go work out," Jack said. 

"You speak like every 10 minutes Jack. Sometimes we've got to actually force you to talk." I said as he walked out the door.

"He's something isn't he," Afia said.

"You've got a good man Afia."

"I"m a lucky girl." 

"Speaking of men I forgot to tell you I met someone."

"You've just been forgetting everything lately. So spill who is he?"

"His name is Nate. His brother lives next door to Harrison."

"Is he handsome?" I shook my head yes.

"How old is he?"

"Well, I didn't ask. I guess he's not old, old. He looks to be in his early 30s."

"Reagan? Oh gosh no Reagan."

"What?" I asked wondering what she freaking out about.

"Is he married?" She whispered.

"First of all why are you whispering it's just me and you. And second of all, not that I know of. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a wedding band on."

"Okay, well you need to make sure." 

"It's okay." 

"What if we went back to Harrison's house to talk or something?" Afia suggested.

"No, we can't do that."

"Yes we can Reagan. We'll multitask. We can get some information on what Amelia wants for her shower and you can keep an eye out for this Nate guy."

"Fine let's do it," I said.