Stories, Sleeping, and Shunichi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHTON!

__________________________________________________________

Nick's POV

~~~

I watched as Serenity raced away, sand flying up behind her. I turned to see everyone else staring in confusion at me.

"What?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"What's wrong with Serenity?" Luna asked in a quiet voice, still holding hands with Jason. I sighed an set the guitar, that Serenity had forced me to play, down. I stood up and followed after her. I could hear everyone whispering behind me but I ignored them. I stuffed my hands in my pocket and glanced down the beach. Serenity was a black blur in the distance. It took me five minutes to reach her. She was sitting near the water but not letting it touch her.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," Serenity said without even looking up. She was pushing sand into a pile and then flattening it out again. I sat down next to her and stared out at the ocean. "Are you going to ask me what's wrong?" she asked when I didn't say anything.

"Oh sorry, I didn't notice you were here. I just ran away from all my friends with no word of explanation," I said sarcastically. Serenity shoved me but didn't say anything. "So why did you run away?" I asked.

"Why did you have to play that song?" she asked, ignoring my question.

"You were the one who told me to play!" I reminded her.

"I know. But why that song?" she mumbled under her breath.

"Why not?" I said, shrugging my shoulders. "It's a good song."

"I know it is. Malcolm used to play that song. They were his favorite band," she said quietly. Realization dawned on me. This was about Malcolm and that, for some reason, pissed me off.

"You know, Serenity, I'm getting really tired of all this," I practically yelled at her as I stood up. She looked up at me in surprise.

"What?" she asked in confusion.

"Look, I get that shit has happened to you. But you're acting like it's only happened to you. Shit has happened to all of us. You can't keep running away every time something reminds you of your brother. How do you think that makes him feel? If he were here, would he want you to be keeping everything you feel about him bottled up?" I actually yelled at her this time.

"How would you know?" she screamed at me, standing up too. "You've gotten everything you've ever wanted since you were a baby. You're family is rich. All of your siblings are alive and they care about you. Your life is perfect! How would you know anything about loss or pain?"

I tensed up. She doesn't know about my past, why would she? It's not her fault she knows nothing. I turned my back to her as memories came flooding back to me: my dad screaming, me cowering in the corner of my closet, praying he wouldn't find me, a flash of silver. I pushed them as far away as I could. It was pointless to think about it now. I turned back to her.

"You know nothing, Serenity Holmes." I turned to walk away when I heard Serenity giggling.

"I'm sorry," she said grabbing my arm. I glanced back at her to see her blue eyes shimmering in the moonlight.

"Excuse me?" I asked. Her shoulders fell and she rolled her eyes.

"You're right. If Malcolm was here, he'd be pissed at me."

"Hold up, who are you and what have you done with Serenity?" I asked. She looked at me in confusion. "An apology and I'm right?" She rolled her eyes again and pulled us both to the ground.