Chapter Ten:

Katniss

Suddenly I was awoken by the drone of chirping birds. I sighed and stretched before forcing myself to sit up.

Waiting besides me already in a seated position was Peeta, a small smile on his face. "Hey, you're up."

Suddenly I was awakened by the drone of chirping birds. I rubbed my eyes and forced myself to sit up.

"Yeah," I replied groggily. "Is it late? Where is everyone else?"

Peeta shrugged. "It's not too late. They're just by the water, cleaning up, fishing, stuff like that. How are you feeling?"

"Sore," I admitted, causing Peeta to frown. I usually refrained from answering Peeta's questions truthfully when I knew that the answer would hurt him, but I was too exhausted to filter myself.

"I'm sorry," he murmured as I allowed him to pull me close to him, his arms wrapped around me. He planted a kiss on my lips, which I graciously reciprocated.

"Ah, two young lovers," Finnick mocked with an eye roll as he suddenly appeared, his hair still wet from being in the water.

Then his smile wavered. He frowned as he peered towards the jungle. My eyes widened as Peeta released me and I slowly stood up.

"Katniss!"

That shriek—that voice. I knew that voice, I knew the voice frantically calling my name. I wasn't mistaken—that voice belonged to no one else besides Prim. But she couldn't be here—she couldn't.

Did the capitol have no boundaries in the games anymore? They would be so cruel to kidnap Prim from Twelve and plant her in this hellscape just to hurt me?

"Katniss! Help me!"

After hearing the voice a second time there was no doubt in my mind that it belonged to Prim. My instincts took over and I immediately started running towards the source of the sound, to Prim.

"Katniss!" Peeta yelled after me as he scrambled to his feet. "Katniss, she's not here! Katniss, come back!"

"Katniss, listen to Peeta. She's not—" Finnick started before his expression change. A new voice had joined the chorus, one I didn't recognize. Soon he began to follow me, but he wasn't looking for me. This was a familiar voice to him.

"FINNICK!" a woman's panicked voice screeched.

The jungle was hot and full of loose vines that could've easily brought me down, but I just ran, Finnick at my side. The two of us ran at a steady pace, each of us desperately looking for our loved ones.

I couldn't even bring myself to feel the pain or complain about the heat. Prim was in danger, wherever she was.

"It's j-jabberjays...." Finnick admitted as we both came to a halt, both out of breathe.

He slid down a tree and grabbed his face, and I followed his example. He buried his face in his hands.

"You're right," I whispered after a few moments. Then I stood up and aimed my bow at one of the jabberbays, which caused it to fall down to the ground.

Although other jabberjays just replaced the ones I shot down, it was satisfying to get them down. It brought brief relief for a moment.

Finnick groaned. "I guess we're going to be here for a while. Looks like we figured out what this section's punishment is...."