Chapter 1

Ask Mary

Chapter 1.

Everywhere i look is white. White walls. white bed. The only color in the room were the different variety of flowers in their exotic vases, sitting on top of the window sill. All around were cards saying "Get well soon!" or "Somebody misses you..." but on the side wall was a big banner saying "WE LOVE YOU COLETTE!"

My name is Colette Smith. Since I was 3 years old i've been diganoused with Pancreatic cancer. No one tells me whats going to happen, but since i was 13 i've known i was going to die sooner than everyone else. I'm not exatly scared considering Mary had the same problem and survived. Oh, and thats another thing. At 12:00 every night Mary appears and leaves at 2 or 3. Mary tells me to do things i'm not very proud of...

****

I looked at the clock and saw it was 12:00. Mary appeared and smiled at me.

"Hello Colette." I smiled.

"Hey Mary." She was clenching her fist as she was speaking to me. Then she grabbed my hand and placed a cold, metal thing into it. I looked down and noticed it was a razor blade.

"Mary...?" She showed me her wrists. Little red lines running across her pale white skin.

"Do it." I shook my head.

"No way! Thats crazy!" She smiled.

"It wasnt a question Colette. Do it." I groaned and placed the razor against my skin and dragged it. Little beads of blood began to fall on my white sheets. I looked up at Mary.

"Again." I did as i was told and placed the blade to my skin again and dragged it down my wrist. I looked up at Mary.

"Harder. Again." I placed it on my vein this time and pressed harder. More blood began to drop. By time i was done it was 2:00 and Mary went away.

*****

I woke up early that morning in pain. My wrists felt as if i cut them off and sewed them back on. My dad came a little later from the cafe and gave me a tray of pancakes.

"How are you feeling today?" I nodded.

"Good." He smiled and ate some of his waffles. Rose came in a little later to do her daily check.

"Good morning Colette, how are you today?" I smiled.

"Good." She smiled back and walked to the side of my bed. She pushed on my lower side.

"Any pain?" I shook my head.

"Good." She walked to the other side and pressed again.

"Any pain here?" I shook my head.

"Good." She smiled and shook hands with my father.

"If you need anything Colette, buzz." I nodded and began to eat more of my pancakes. My mother sat up and looked around. She fixed her eyes on me and smiled.

"How are you feeling today baby girl?" I sighed considering it was the 3rd time i had to answer that same exact question today.

"Good mom. You just missed Rose."

"Really? I'm so sorry i slept in."

"It's okay." She settled in her seat and kissed my father.

"How are you today honey?" He shrugged.

"Never better."

As the day flew by i drew pictures of my mom, my dad, Rose, and Mary. I must've fallen asleep in the middle of a sketch because when i woke up it was 12, and Mary appeared.