Chapter 6: Whatever Means Necessary

Jared was right as Miles was fuming with anger, he would never tell his brother that though, Miles simply gave him the cold shoulder and left through the back door and stormed past Rebecca who had found refuge on the back step. As Miles crossed the small field that ran between the main house and the guest house, Kevin was just walking out from the other building and right into Mile's line of fire.

"Hey Miles, you okay?"

The boy was unaware of what had just transpired in the house and Miles aggressively pushed Kevin out of the way and slammed the guest room door behind him. Confused more then ever now by Miles's actions, Kevin looked back at the house only to have his eyes lock on the girl sitting on the steps.

He walked over to her, while Rebecca remained completely unaware of her surroundings only keeping her focus on the key and didn't notice Kevin approaching her until he sat down right beside her.

"Hey."

"Who the hell are you?"

Kevin's feeble attempt at trying to break the ice with the girl, was quickly met by the girls aggressive tone while she kept her gaze locked onto the key in her hand.

"I'm guessing you met my bosses. My names Kevin, I'm nothing like those two I promise."
"Rebecca."

Extending a hand to the girl, Kevin was trying his best to make the best first impression he could and hopefully repair the damage that Miles had done prior. Seeing the hand appear in front of her, Rebecca quickly gave it a shake and then returned to the key.

"So what's that you got there?"

"Surprisingly it's the key to the fabled hatch that's located somewhere on this island, The only problem is that I don't know where it is."

Kevin's eyes looked down at the key in her hand, while Rebecca's tone seemed to become less stand offish and friendlier toward him.

"Oh really because I know where it is."

"Are you serious?"

"Yea I guess we just needed the key, so if you'd be willing to join us it'd be nice to have some back up especially with those two."

Kevin's silent admission made Rebecca's eyes light up causing her to turn and look at Kevin, who greeted her gaze with a smile. Feeling comfortable with this new associate of the brothers, she sits back leaning on her elbows but keeps her eyes trained on the boy.

"Kevin you seem like a much nicer guy then the others, so let me sleep on it. Then we'll see."

"Hey that's all I can ask of you, we're leaving tomorrow."

The boys words trailed off, while Rebecca stood up beside him and walked back to the door of the main house, while he simply watched the girl hoping that she would join them.

***

Night fell across the hills, the main cabin is but a shadowy structure hidden by the night. While at the guest house, the front light was on and Miles stood on the porch, leaning against the wood railing. He pulled out a lighter and struck it igniting the flame instantly, then in his other hand he brought the cigar to the fire and then placed it in his mouth.

Miles took a couple puffs of the cigar before resuming his gaze at the shadowed house. Behind him the door opened up and Jared walked out and leaned on the railing beside his brother.

"Kevin and I think we're pretty much set, all the pistols are loaded and we packed all of the medical supplies and food rations is there anything else you think we need, brother."

Miles's face was still emotionless as he took another long puff of the cigar and then tapped out some of the ashes.

"Bring the explosives."

There was no hesitation in Miles's voice, yet Jared backed off the railing taking a step back from Miles.

"Are you sure? What about our no damage to the environment policy."

"What about it? Face the facts Jared. If this girl doesn't hand that key over how are we going to get into the hatch, and besides like you said we're almost out of money and this might be our only option left."

"Yea but-"

Before Jared could finish, Miles took another long drag from the cigar before firing another verbal attack on Jared.

"Yea but what Jared? Is there something that you know that I don't. I highly doubt that. I'm the leader here and I make the calls. Remember that. Now go get some sleep and leave me alone."

His tone was nothing less then angry, while Jared got the message and walked away from his brother and back to the guest house. Miles, now alone sighed and put the cigar out driving the tip into the wooden railing and plunged the world back into darkness.