19 | Irony

N I N E T E E N

~You're the drug that i'm addicted to and I want you so bad.~

a d e l i n

I restlessly flip my pillow over, again.

After the five of us had reached my house, I had wordlessly shown Caleb his room while Jas and Tris bid us good night, all but trudging to their rooms.

The gang had stayed at the house far too many times to count and each of them knew their assigned rooms like the back of their hands by now.

Later, I had followed Danny to his room.

"Can you now please explain what you plan on telling Caleb about your and Jas' sudden appearance and how you managed to pull this surprise off?" I voice the question that had been bugging me the whole ride back.

Danny takes off his jacket, throwing it on the bed and pushing his sleeves up to his elbows to reveal a cluster of tattoos, all in different sizes, shapes and fonts.

My eyes take them in, the familiar sight knocking into me loke a ton of bricks-from the coiling dragon to the hands from Michelangelo's Creation Of Adam-my throat is tight from emotion.

Danny had always had a deep appreciation for art, mainly because he is one of the most creative souls I have ever come across.

When we were young, he used to constantly point to everyday objects and interpret them into shapes and animals and countless other things. My best friend's imagination knows no bounds.

"You two seem close." he comments, taking a seat on the blue velvet armchair and moving on to unlacing his shoes, my brows draw together, looking at him questioningly.

"What? It was just an observation, Angel." He tells me aloofly, I open my mouth but close it a second later, realising I have no argument against what he just said.

Danny continues "We're going to tell him that Jas and I had to move because of father's new business venture in another country. As for the early arrival." A shrug, while the move is callous, he is anything but.

"I was supposed to be let out later this month but Dominic Sinclair dubbed my time insode enough to teach me a lesson and finally did what he does best..throw money at his problems to make them go away."

Again, his tone is casual but his movements are rigid, expression stoic and words flat and I don't blame him for any of that. What Dominic did made me see the man I used to play chess with in an entirely different light, one that bared all his ugliness.

I don't think Daniel will ever forgive him. Dominic abandoning his son was the last straw in their already strained relationship.

And since we can't exactly tell Caleb that Danny went to prison because he fooled everyone into believing he'd shot someone-when in reality, I had fired the bullet at a member of the Vultures-and his father refused to bail him out as punishment, we have no other option but to rely on this story.

Though, this lie came with costly consequences, like for one, the aftermath of Caleb finding out we blatantly lied to him.

"It's been a hecticly long day, I'll need all the beauty sleep I can get." Danny's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, the exhaustion in it making me drop everything and stand up.