The bonds forgotten

Hinata's mind went blank the second the announcement was made. Had she heard the woman correctly? Fiancé? To Sasuke? What the....

Her eyes had found Sasuke, standing in the corner who stared right back in his blank way. Everyone was looking at them now, some of them surprised while the others annoyed. Right now, she was being led to the center by the woman, who was called Mikoto and was Sasuke and Itachi's mother. Hinata had hoped her fiancé would be a nice person but this was beyond her wildest dreams.

Of course! She had seen the stupid fan at the Uchiha Corp. She had also seen it as a cufflink on Sasuke's shirt. How could she be so dumb?

She had never thought the stoic, handsome, popular, smart and cold Uchiha would be her fiancé. How could this be happening? Why hadn't her parents told her? What was she supposed to do now? She was talking to a girl named Izumi right now.

She seemed really nice and she was actually making Hinata feel a little at home. "I'm Itachi's fiancé. You're Sasuke's." Izumi said. Hinata didn't like the way it made her feel like she belonged to Sasuke. "They're brothers...so we're something like sisters, right?"

Hinata smiled with difficulty and nodded. "Yay! I've always wanted a sister." Izumi continued to talk on.

Mikoto suddenly came up to them again. "Hinata, there you are. Sasuke, say hi." Mikoto instructed. Hinata looked up abruptly and took in Sasuke's face which betrayed no emotions. Had he known before this? She could not guess. He did not look smug or even shocked.

"Good evening Hyuga." He said, looking at her as if he was gazing into her soul.

"Good Evening Sasuke." She said. They looked into each other's eyes, sizing the other up. Hinata broke eye contact first.

Suddenly, she noticed Izumi and Mikoto were gone. The music was playing in the background and people were dancing now, before the food arrived.

Sasuke did not say anything. He just stared at her necklace. As if he was remembering something.

"You gave me my watch....on my 6th birthday." He stated.

"What watch?" Hinata said surprised at what he said. He pointed to the handsome watch he was wearing right now and always wore to school.

"That's why you looked familiar on the first day." He said, more to himself than her.

"Look Sasuke..." she started when he cut her off.

"I gave you the necklace." he said, touching her necklace, fingers brushing over her neck. She gasped and stepped away. Then, she remembered.
_________

"Sasuke, please sit still." Mikoto said to her 6 year old son who was wriggling under her hold. She was trying to tie his bow tie properly but he wouldn't sit still.

"I want to go to Nii-San." Sasuke said, with a pout.

"Just a second." She said, finally doing it properly. "There..." she said "Now you look like a gentleman."

Sasuke smiled brightly and she let him go. He hugged her and ran off to find Itachi. It was Sasuke's 6th birthday and he was very excited. It was nearly time for the party to begin and Mikoto had made sure everything was okay.

Itachi, her 14 year old son, had helped her in everything and had left a while ago to get ready. Mikoto was already dressed in a red dress that made her look beautiful.

She had made sure Fugaku; her husband had come home early for their son's birthday. This birthday was very special for Sasuke, even though he did not realize it yet.