Chapter 1 [Edited]

Dedicated to KaylaKeifer for the amazing cover :) Thank you!

 Chapter 1

        I rubbed my forehead on the spot where the paper ball, aimed at me, had hit my head. I looked around and saw Jay snickering with his friends, no doubt that he was responsible for this. Of course, like always, the teacher had not been paying attention but the bell finally rang and I ran out of the classroom.

                "Katherine hurry up!" Mason, my brother, screamed at me from the end of the hallway and I briskly made my way towards him ignoring the snide remarks from my pack members and classmates about my appearance. Sure, I was slightly short, had braces and my bob cut made my face look chubbier but why is that an excuse to get bullied? I guess my only good physical appearance would be my tanned skin and blue eyes, "finally" He screamed as I approached him.

         My pack, The Midnight Pack, were a big, strong pack and they happened to bully me for reasons unknown to me. Maybe it was because during high school everyone changed, they had their own clique and many had changed physically becoming more attractive but I just stayed like me. My parents were unaware of my endless tormenting as my father was the Beta the pack members acted civilised with me when he was around. However, being the beta meant my father was away lot for pack business so the nice facade, no matter how peaceful it was, did not last long. I was snapped out of my thoughts as I bumped into Mason's back, he swivelled his head towards me and growled and then I stepped back.

        Colton, the future Alpha, came into view. Tomorrow during his eighteenth birthday he would take the Alpha title and Mason, who had three days left until turning eighteen, will take the Beta title. I'm three years younger than Mason and Colton. Colton was a ladies man, everyone had a thing for him even me and I think he knew that. How could you resist his charm, his tousled chestnut brown hair, his tall height, muscular build and captivating blue eyes? I smiled as I looked at him "Hey man" Colton greeted Mason and then he looked at me, my smile faded as he gave me a look of disgust, "looks like you're still carrying baggage" Ouch.

        Mason sighed, a look of annoyance clear on his face, "I have to have her around." I wish Mason would be like the elder brother's often portrayed in fictional novels, protective and kind, but alas he was not he partook in the bullying. Our parents had left me in Mason's care and I knew he hated having me around. I didn't much like being around him when he was like this. I recalled of my fond memories with my brother before high school changed him; I wish he was still the same. I ignored Colton and Mason and walked towards Mason's mustang with my head held high but then I tripped, stupidly, over my own feet. I was the clumsiest person ever.

           I latched onto the nearest thing beside me which was Colton's arms. I grabbed his arm and stabilized myself. Then I felt it; I felt the tingles that would be the death of me; the sparks that would set me on fire. Mate my wolf echoed and I gasped as I looked at Colton, "you're my mate!" I stated, well blurted out. Oh crap! A mate was someone that was assigned to us by the moon goddess to be our other half. They were our strengths and could also be our weaknesses. Whatever they were they were a part of us. 

             Colton's eyes widened in shock then his jaw clenched and he shoved me away, "what the fuck? I am not your fucking mate!" Colton screamed and my eyes widened. What? Did he not just feel that? "Why the hell would I be your mate? you're disgusting!" then it settled in he's rejecting us? my wolf questioned surprised and hurt. It felt as if everything had frozen around me.

 "I'm sure you felt what I did, Colton" I assured him.Although I felt like screaming my voice was calm and collected.

            "Mason control your sister. I can't have her and her immature wolf making stupid accusations. Remember I'm your Alpha, don't lie to me." I felt tears sting my eyes. Mason roughly grabbed my arms and turned me around so I could see the angry and embarrassed look on his face. Why is he embarrassed I'm the one that got rejected?!