Chapter 8 : They're Dating?

Today, Brooklyn offered me a ride to school today. She texted me saying that she would come over and pick me up at 7:30. It was still 7 so I already had plenty of time left to wonder around the house. I sat down on the sofa eating a banana . A sudden shock got me right when my phone rang as I searched for my phone. I didn't know the callers ID so I decided to risk it and answer. It was probably Caleb or even Keith. Maybe Brooklyn gave them my number.

I answered by pressing on the green button and held it against my ear, still eating the banana.

"Hello?" I asked, I chewed slightly.

"Why hello Pearl." My eyes grew in shock. His voice rang through my ears as he spat my name venomously. That was the last person I expected to call me and my heart started to thump faster, as if I just finished a marathon. 

 "Why don't you answer your father?" 

"I- what do you want?" My voice was shaky, but I tried to not let it show.

"I just wanted to ask how my daughter is feeling. Don't want my little baby to go off with some guy out in a city on her own, that'll worry me." He says in this annoying, yet childish tone. He thinks I'm four. Of course that was the freaking last time he even looked at me with a sane expression. My head started to fume in anger as flashbacks wash over me. There was no traces of sadness, no sign of pity in his voice.

"If you're worried about me, then why did you send me away? That just shows me that you don't care!" I raise my voice, although it sounds like I was about to burst into tears.

I immediately hung up right after that sentence I said. I've heard enough of his voice. But a question lingers in my mind, why did he call me?

***

"I said I have no idea what you're talking about!" Amber shrieked at Brooklyn.

For the past five minutes, Brooklyn and I have been trying to make Amber take the video down. We were currently in history, waiting for Mrs Leah to arrive. I have briefly scanned through the pages for the pop quiz because I'm not really bothered and my mind is pretty stressful the past couple of days.

"Amber, quit it! We'll leave you alone as soon as you press on that freaking 'delete' button." Brooklyn crossed her arms together and tapped her foot, continuously. "the choice is yours." 

I watched as their eyes turn from white to pure black, although their iris glows fiercely. Their faces were so close that their nose was almost touching, both sending negative vibes to each other. The word 'despise' jumbles in the air, making us suck it all in. Brooklyn was the one who broke the staring contest. 

 The class started to fill in with students. I sat by where Brooklyn stood like a stone due to not knowing what to do at this point. But of course being me, words spill out of my mouth.

"Guess what? We got back ups! So don't think this is all over already." I blurt out like an idiot I am. I gasped and quickly covered my mouth, as if I could take my words back. Amber's horrid laugh rang through my ears as she shook her head in disbelief. 

"We got back ups!" She mimicked my voice in a high pitched tone, and she laughed again. "Show me what you got, Bitch!" Her friends laughed, making Amber do the usual smirk, but this time it looked more evil.

"Oh and what's that you're wearing? Looks like a potato sack to me. Got it from your mom?" Her eyes roam over me from head to toe. A tear tried to escape, but I held my breath and stared at the ceiling instead of answering her. Mom...

"Amber! Stop trying to change the topic. Seriously, insulting isn't gonna bring you anywhere." Brooklyn spoke up as I shifted towards another table which is a few meters away. I heard Brooklyn mumble 'unbelievable' to Amber before catching up with me.