35- "You're Extremely Sassy"

"What are we going to do Percy?" I whispered fear filling my eyes.

He sighed, his hot breath fanning against my neck where his head laid, exhausted from the torture we had just been through. "All I know is that I'm not letting you die."

"Even if you have to give up the crown?" I ran my fingers through his messy jet black hair.

"Even if I have to give up the crown." He took his head away from my neck, his pained sea green eyes staring into my pained stormy grey eyes. "I'm not letting you die."

"So that millions of other people can die?" I cupped his cheek, wiping my thumb across the patches of dirt marking his cheek. "Percy, if you won't let me do it, I'll just do it myself."

Percy closed his eyes sighing. "I won't let you die."

"I won't let you sacrifice the country."

He opened his eyes. "Maybe we can think of something else?"

I thought for a moment. "Next time he asks for the crown, say no."

"But-"

I cut Percy off with a kiss on the lips. It was filled with hope and trust. He wrapped his arms around me, and I was reluctant to leave his soothing warmth. I would never get used to the way his lips felt against mine.

"Please?" I looked up at him with my most convincing puppy dog eyes. "For me?"

"He'll kill you" He muttered kissing me lightly on the lips again, lingering for a moment.

"Not now he won't. He still needs us."

"For what?"

"He can hold us for ransom"

Percy and I stayed there, wrapped together, our limbs tangled, thinking about our situation and how inevitably doomed we were. I fell asleep pretty quickly, listening to the sound of Percy's heartbeat, which I could not express in words how grateful I was for it to still be pumping blood through his body.

Waking up with a knife pressed against your throat is exactly as terrifying as you'd think it is.

"I'm trying my best to be polite," I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. "But if you put that thing any closer to me, I will rip you apart."

Luke chuckled. "Get up Annabeth. Breakfast and then another talk with Kronos."

I looked over at Percy to see him glaring daggers at Luke. A couple of pieces of bread were on a grimy silver platter in front of him, two glasses of water next to them. He had more dirt on his tired face and his clothes too.

Luke shook the knife away from my throat and let me move closer to the food. I took a bite of the stale bread grimacing.

"When do I get a change of clothes?" I asked looking up at Luke.

He was wearing the now usual black pants, black top. I couldn't look him in the eyes, the chills sent down my spine caused me to shake every time I saw the gold instead of the blue. It scared the living daylights out of me.

"Uh, never?"

"Never?" I mumbled. "I have to live in this dress forever? Can you ask Kronos please?"

Luke stared at me and decided not to question my sanity, which was understandable.

"What are you doing?" Percy asked, stuffing a piece of bread into his mouth. "Are you crazy?"

"No," I shrugged. "Just in desperate need of a shower."

"Well," Luke joined the conversation. "You can have a shower once Percy hands over the crown."