≑ Chapter Twenty-One

Cover on the Multimedia made by: Cayla (CenturiesOfClockwork). 

 ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

 C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y - O N E

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

CALLIE

“Aren’t you going out?”

Smoothing the sleeves of a crumpled shirt, I folded it carefully before looking up at the small bed beside me. A girl, her blonde hair pinned on her head by a thin headband, was rummaging for something on her flowery make-up kit. She glanced at me briefly before grunting when she lifted a broken mirror.

She was called ‘Daphney’, I think.

“I’ll be going later,” I mumbled, returning my attention to the black statement shirt on my lap. Draped beside it, stretched against my ivory bed cover, was a brown cargo pants which was just dried under the sun earlier.

I heard a ‘thud’ then a sound of zipper being pulled roughly. Glancing up, I saw the girl locking her pink small luggage before placing it down the floor. When our eyes met, she flashed me an awkward smile with her painted lips. “The dinner will be over soon. Are you sure you don’t wanna go there yet?”

I nodded and smiled at her. “Ten minutes. I’m just, um… sorting out something,” I said, motioning to the clutter of clothes on one side of my bed.

She gave me a stiff nod, her small eyes never leaving my face as she walked towards the door. She stopped for a moment when she reached the doorknob. “This may sound weird but you should smile more.”

When I looked at her, questioningly, she shook her head immediately. “I don’t mean it the wrong way but you know… you’re pretty so… you-you should smile often and…” she stammered, her cheeks turning to a deeper pink behind her make-up. She then waved her hand in dismissal. “Don’t mind what I said. Hunger just went on my head and, uh… yeah,” she said, making a twirl of her hand against her temple and let out a forced laugh which sounded more like squeaking.

I saw her hastily grabbing the doorknob, perhaps too eager to get out of the room, to walk away from a quite awkward atmosphere.

From the large gap of the door, I saw a tall girl, holding a small gadget on her hand, standing just beyond the threshold. She glanced at me before looking at Daphney. She must have read something on my roommate’s face for she arched her eyebrows questioningly.

Before the door completely closed, her hushed voice drifted in the air. “She finally talked?”

My eyes stayed on the closed door, wondering what I appeared like to them. They were all reaching out to me- Daphney and her friends. But I was the one drawing the line.

Thin scratches and distinct stains on our room's door demanded attention from my eyes. The decaying walnut wood flaunted classic designs on its borders, resembling the door I was propped against last night, the door which cradled me in a safe place, the door that extended its hand, tugging me out of harm's way.

The room they confined me in, plain and barren, cuddling my best friend’s belongings- ironically, it was akin to my heart... what used to be my heart. It was pristine, blissful, and satisfied, constantly  focusing its eyes on what was good in everything.