STAWP | Chapter 41

So I really, really, really love this chapter! 

Let me know what you think of it, especially the last part! OMG I cannot get over that last part! 

Oh, and don't forget: voting was down on Wattpad last night, so if you read any stories you liked, please go back and vote! :) It means a lot to us writers, and it's also a nice way to say thanks. 

Anyway, I'm off to vote :P hope you like reading this chapter as much as I liked writing it! 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Saffron

"Everything's going to be alright, Saf," Logan tells me. "I promise."

I respond with a wobbly smile and Logan hugs me again. I stay in his arms for a while, listening to his heartbeat and enjoying the heat radiating from his body.

"Saf, I have an idea," Logan tells me suddenly.

I look up at him, my face only an inch from his, and quickly scramble off his lap. I wipe at my face with the backs of my arms, wiping away any evidence of tears, and sit across from him. Logan looks at me, and when I blush, he grins.

"So?" I ask, trying to cover my embarrassment. Logan raises an eyebrow. "The idea?"

"Try to relax again," Logan tells me, and it takes me a few minutes to get myself together enough to do it.

"Okay," I tell him when I'm finally ready. I take another deep breath and open my eyes to look at him.

Logan is watching me intently. He's no longer sitting against the tree trunk. Instead, he's leaning toward me slightly, as if in anticipation.

Excitement courses through me. I don't want to get my hopes up, but what if this works? What if I can link? What if unlike Dad, I'm normal?

"Close your eyes," Logan tells me. "Now focus on your wolf."

The suggestion makes me nervous and I automatically tense up. What if my wolf tries to take over and kill Logan? What if I can't regain control, and she does something awful like slaughter a bunch of humans? Or sleep with every single boy at school?

I know I should stay away from my wolf, but what if it could help me link? I'll just have to be really careful and make sure nothing bad happens.

I'm strong. I can stay in control. I repeat over and over, like a chant. Everything will be fine.

Slowly, I begin to relax and search inside me for my wolf. I focus on the small part of my mind where I keep her hidden. When I spot her, I toe the line, keeping her mentally in sight without freeing her. Slowly, I become aware of her existence. She's lying in the mental cage I built for her, her muzzle resting lightly on one paw. There's no rebellion in her, no urge to get out. In fact, my wolf seems to be sleeping.

"Focus on your wolf," Logan continues. "Then talk to me like you would to her."

That could be a problem. Talking to my wolf isn't as simple as talking to another person. It's not like I can just say hi, or text her, or call her up on the phone. It's also not the same as just thinking. If it was, my wolf would be able to hear all my thoughts, and I know she can't.

I used to be able to talk to her, as a kid. It was something that came naturally to me from the moment I learned to shift. My wolf was just there, talking to me, so I talked back. I just haven't done it in years, not since the summer before I started fourth grade. I'm not even sure I know how to do it anymore.