Wattpad Original

Original Edition: 20 | Magnetic

"SO," I SAY, my brain wrapped in a warm, wine-induced buzz as I rest my elbow on the island, leaning closer, "tell me about Mason Byrne

"SO," I SAY, my brain wrapped in a warm, wine-induced buzz as I rest my elbow on the island, leaning closer, "tell me about Mason Byrne."

The boy in question raises his eyebrows, the icy blue that makes up his eyes glittering with mirth. He's loosened up considerably after a few glasses of wine, his posture relaxing, a lazy grin hanging off his mouth when he speaks, and it's fascinating to see this side of him; the side of him that isn't a stone cold, emotionless robot. We've been chatting amicably for the past hour or two, and the clock is creeping late into the night, but neither of us seem to mind. I don't think either of us would be sleeping right now anyway.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything," I remark honestly, my eyes widening. "I mean, it's only fair, seeing as you know everything about me."

He laughs, leaning back in his seat and letting his arm hang over the top of the chair of my stool, my heart stuttering at our close proximity. "I don't know everything," he corrects me, and my lips quirk.

"Okay, then how about this?" I propose. "I tell you something about me, and you tell me something about you. Keep in mind, I have a very limited memory bank."

"Fine," he agrees, nodding, a smile still playing about his lips as he lifts an eyebrow. "Tell me about yourself, Castillo."

I squint, pursing my lips, trying to think of a fact he may not know. Finally, an idea occurs to me, and I snap my fingers, feeling proud of myself. "My favourite colour is green," I tell him confidently.

"Groundbreaking," he says sarcastically, and I grin.

"I know, I know," I quip, shrugging my shoulders, "I probably just shattered your world. I hope you can recover."

"I think I'll manage."

Reaching over, I nudge my elbow into his side gently. "Your turn," I remind him.

"Hm," he says, staring up at the ceiling as he mulls it over, his finger tracing the rim of his wine glass, and I find my eyes memorized by the motion. "I want to move across the country someday," he finally comments.

"For college?"

Mason lets out a humorless laugh, shaking his head. "I don't plan on going to college," he tells me, shaking his head. "High school has been shitty enough. I've learned that I don't exactly like being around people."

I raise my eyebrows. "Well, you seem to be doing okay right now," I remark. "I'm a person."

His eyes flicker to mine, studying my face. "You're different."

My heart picks up again, and I'm quick to justify his words by reminding myself he's got a whole lot of alcohol flowing through his system right now. Though even as I try to rationalize, I begin to acknowledge the fact that I'm drawn to the boy sitting next to me. I've been drawn to him since the start, even if it didn't always seem like it. There's always been something about him that pulls me in. He's an intriguing addition to this whole mystery, but I don't think I'll ever be able to completely solve the puzzle that is Mason Byrne.