14. Birthday

"Check mate." I sighed looking down at the chess pieces.

"And what's wrong?" George asked innocently. He'd been hanging around with me ever since I'd been on house arrest Monday by my uncle. It felt nice to be at peace with him finally, and to be dating, if you could call days in the house watching Disney movies an actual date. The only one who knew for sure we were together was Minnie, everyone else's theories only from speculation, which the lads had done quite a bit of to keep me company throughout the long week this had been.

"You let me win that time." I shook my head. He had beaten me five times before now, and he had finally threw a game out of pity.

"Ya George, you could've won that game a half an hour ago." John spoke raiding the fridge.

"Well excuse me if I want to do something nice for my g-Poppy." George's eyes widened knowing well that we both wanted to postponed John's knowledge of our relationship status because of the comments that would come from it.

John looked between the two of us suspiciously but returned his attention to the fridge. I was trying desperately not to let my cheeks heat up looking down at the chess pieces.

"So how was band practice this morning?" I change the topic as swiftly as I could.

"Good, good. Paul's been making us stay another hour everyday to work on a new song he thinks will fit nicely in our set." George shrugged with a bit of irritation starting to put the chess pieces away.

"-how could I dance with another, ouuuu, when I saw her standing there!" John sang using a Coca Cola bottle as a microphone singing what I assumed to be the new song. I giggled at John's eye roll in mockery of the song.

"Sounds good to me." I giggled at John's tired expression as he sunk his teeth into a sandwich he'd made himself from my uncle and I's groceries.

"It should, we've put hours into the bloody song. He must've wrote it about a new bird he's shagging." John smirked knowingly.

"She must be special to him for him to make a whole song for her. He's trying to impress this bird." George shook his head. "When one girl leaves, another one's lined up for him." George laughed. I smiled and shook my head. It was true that Paul had girls practically banging at his door, he was getting a reputation as the cute one of the group and it was hard for any girl around Liverpool to resist the McCartney charm.

"Sounds like you're being put to work then." I laughed watching the two of them tease Paul.

John stopped eating and scoffed. "We had to stop every five minutes because Paul thinks Pete's drumming is shit." John looked annoyed recalling the practice.

"Oh." I spoke just remembering that Pete existed. "Erm, how is Pete anyway?" I asked awkwardly.

"He's alright, just sort've frustrated with Paul lately." George spoke chuckling.

"What about me?" Paul asked walking into the room with a wide grin.

"You've been up Pete's ass." John repeated bluntly.

"Well it's not my fault! I can even drum better than the sod! It's a simple beat to keep!" Paul flailed his arms up in frustration without skipping a beat.

"Just like you could've played bass better than Stu ay?" John spoke slyly with an eyebrow raised.

"I can and you know it." Paul huffed crossing his arms. I watched in confusion. Stu?

"Who's Stu?" I whispered leaning over the table to George who was watching Paul and John argue with amusement.

"Our old bass guitar player." He whispered making me smile at how cutely he seemed to want to avoid being heard by Paul and John who were still bickering away. I nodded contented to be filled in with the information and sat back in my chair trying to tune back into their argument.