JUST DO IT (PROOFREADING)

Let's talk about typos. We all are guilty of them. Some are more obvious than others, of course. The thing about notiing a spelling mistake is that, again, it takes the reader out of the story. They frown at the error. Their nose wrinkles. And that is not a reaction that you want from readers.

However, there is a simple fix: proofreading. This is the art of reading over your own writing, before you post it, and fixing any errors.

There are many kinds of proofreading, whether you are checking for logical consistency, dull paragraphs, or, of course, spelling and grammar. This is where a beta reader, someone willing to read over your work before you post it, is invaluable. A fresh set of eyes can immediately spot small errors that may not be picked up by a spell checker, such as using the word 'sun' instead of 'son'.

But a beta reader may not always be available, or you may want to get this chapter posted quickly, and os not have time to contact them. In this case, you can check over your work on your own, though a beta is always preferable. Reading the story aloud can help you check work over, as it forces you to think about each word. This technique can also be useful for spotting long phrases or, commas in the wrong place.

Proofreading isn't just for spelling and grammar! Your going to spot little phrases you'd like to change, the tiny things to tweak. Maybe you described a character's hair as ebony, instead of midnight black. Or maybe there's a continuity error, lurking in those pages of text. All of these can be spotted, if only you care to look.

Please. Proofread. Your readers will thank you.