Chapter 9

-Beckham-

"What?" Isaac laughed awkwardly. "Where would you get that idea from?" We all shared glances of suspicion; that was too close to be a lucky guess. Meila giggled once again.

"I'm not stupid. I've been following you since you got here, trying to catch you!" She smiled. "It worked pretty well, I'd say." She pretended to fire a gun and blow away the steam.

"So you've been faking this entire time?" I asked, appalled. She nodded.

"Yep!"

"I suppose you're going to kill us now," Chanson sighed. He stared at the rest of us. "Told ya. We're all going to die."

"I'm not going to kill you, silly! I still need to learn all about humans, and at the moment y'all are the only ones who can help me," she said matter-of-factly. Despite her accent being nowhere near southern, her vocal tendancies and slang seemed so. "But this is kinda a problem."

"Uh... How so?" Grace asked, finally speaking in spite of her fear. Meila crossed her arms and tapped her right forefinger against her left elbow.

"You have something I want, and I have something you need," she explained, "But I could be killed if I help rebels. I won't continue until you give me a good reason."

"Hold on," Chanson began, "How do we know you won't just turn us in when we get to the labyrinth?"

"That's true. We need some sort of assurance you will stay true to your word," Jaycen agreed. "Do demons have any type of honor system?"

"No," Meila giggled. "We're demons. But you have my word. To be quite honest, what Karma is doing is stupid. I'd be happy to help you, I'm just a bit scared to get caught."

"What Karma is doing?" I repeated. "You mean, you know everything that's going on?" How did she know so much?

"You're not the only people I've spied on," she shrugged. "But it was fun, so thank you! And thanks for letting me test out my acting skill on y'all, too. Demons don't have entertainment like that, but humans do! I've been practicing, does it show?"

"I, uh..." I trailed off. If everything she's done was an act, how could we trust her? She'd fooled us easily.

"Yeaheah!" Isaac answered, pumping a fist in the air. "You are so cool!"

"Thanks!" She exclaimed, her freckled cheeks taking on a darker grey, almost black shade; she was blushing. "I've gotta admit, it's so cool to actually talk with humans! I'm not allowed when I visit Earth."

"Can we go now?" Chanson asked. "We aren't going to save anyone just standing around." I nodded in agreement - I hated to think it, but he really did have a point. Meila shrugged and continued walking as she and Isaac broke into conversation once again. I turned to Mason.

"Is it suspicious how much she knows, or is it just me?" I whispered.

"She explained why she knows it," he replied simply. "It's not like she's keeping it a secret anymore, but... It is a bit concerning how easily she can lie. Not even her thoughts gave her away."

"That's really concerning," I agreed, now more worried than before.

"Let's try to think positively," Mason said.

I nodded, but my mind refused to consent to optimism. Chanson was right: all it brings is disappointment. Pessimism doesn't bring much happiness either, but it was easier. It wasn't like we had any hope anyway.

"Positively," Mason repeated, with a pointed look.

"Hey, what happened to respecting the mind block?" I asked, only half joking.

"Sorry," he laughed. "Just try to think happier thoughts."

"God, you're starting to sound like Jaycen." I sighed. Mason frowned.

"What's wrong with that?"

Besides the fact that I hate him, I mused silently, then told myself to start watching my thoughts once again around Mason.

"Nothing, just weird. How did Meila lie with her thoughts?"

"I'm not sure," Mason admitted. "It might be some sort of power, who knows."

We continued walking in silence until Meila froze, stopping the rest of the group. She looked around, sniffed the air, and narrowed her eyes.

"Someone's here," she whispered.

"What?" Isaac asked. "Who?"

"Another human."

Author's Note!

Soooo what do we think about Meila? And about the end of the chapter? Who do you think it will be? Place all bets now! XD

Anyways, explanation time. I've been incredibly stressed lately, and haven't really written more for this book in a month ish. I'm out of prewritten material and trying really hard to write more than one sentence for this book. I've got tons of other writing projects I'm working on as well, including trying to publish Soryx and starting three completely new books that I haven't decided whether or not to put on Wattpad yet. 

The reason I'm saying this is, I'm not sure how well I'll be able to keep up my uploading schedule. I'll try my best, but just so you guys know! I've got an insane amount of stuff on my plate XD Love you guys! Thanks for reading <3

Savy