Chapter 5: The Smell of Blood

The Ice Daimyō is known as a frugal man, but he offers Kakashi and Asuma proper accommodation fit for honored guests, even though they've just basically trespassed the dangerous Fubuki Border that they almost died treading. It isn't an exaggeration that the wall itself is alive, but the daimyō simply laughs when they tell him about it.

"Oh how silly!" He waves his hand in amusement, even though they know the wall had really tried to kill them.

In fact, Asuma received a welcoming gift from the border spikes—a large gash on his upper arm and it stings like hell. He can only hope it isn't poisoned, even though he already asked and the daimyō assured him with a smile that it isn't.

"Now, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

The daimyō entertains them with tea in a large room. There are no guards with them, only the daimyō sipping from his dainty teacup, seated across from where they are as a snowstorm brews outside.

"Pardon my insolence, but... I don't know if Yasu-sama has heard..." Asuma begins unsurely before he continues on to how high officials from various villages have been assassinated these past few months. He tells him of the other villages' concern. After the death of their own elder, the Leaf has been on the move itself.

"How does this concern me?" the daimyō asks formally.

"The officials, my lord..." Asuma seems uneasy all of a sudden. "They've all been affiliates of Koori before."

From the other feudal lords, the Ice Daimyō is particularly different. Unlike the others who hold the same rank, Yasu of the new Koori government is unconventionally intelligent. He is no shinobi himself, but his knowledge amounts to many things that even their own Hokage and village elders are lacking in.

And despite his white hair, common amongst his people, making him quite a feeble-looking man, it is a mistake to doubt that Yasu is a formidable individual, one of the few survivors of the Hyō Massacre. Perhaps that's why the people appointed him as the new leader after the fall of Koori's main capital and he is left to govern Fubuki and Kesshō Harvest.

"Do you wish to inquire if Koori is involved in such blasphemy?"

Asuma seems to realize the rudeness of his question then, but even before he can explain himself, he already freezes when the daimyō smiles coldly at them with crescent eyes.

It is a well known fact that Koori fell from grace three years ago. Among the many nations, despite its small land mass, it was a pinnacle of power, the oldest of the countries to set a shinobi village.

They have lived a quiet life throughout the first two wars of its neighboring countries with its advantageous location, but became involved when, at the losing end against Iwa and Kusa, Konoha and Kiri tried to steal from them to support their own war parties during the Third War.

Danzō Shimura had planned the infiltration of the Fubuki Border in order to conquer the country, but the Ninth Heika had only imprinted her figure in history books as a beast in the battle field.

Perhaps that's why it was a surprise when, a few years following the end of the war, she died one night just like her predecessor who followed only five years later.

"What a waste we have become..." Yasu says more to himself than them as he abandons his seat and overlooks the view of the window. Outside, a strong gust of wind blows against the glass as snow barrels the land.