XXI.

Screams

Screams. 

I wandered half-hazardly through the open forest, trees lining my vision, snow falling, the smell of copper in the air. Burnt copper, a smell that came with freshly fallen blood. There was a woman in front of me. Her dark cloak surrounded her tiny frame, and I trailed helplessly after her. She didn't notice my presence, or did she seem to be someone that I should be afraid of, merely a woman with a small crying child in her arms. The child's screams were loud and as she rushed through the forest, she did what she could to hush the child for it's safety- and her own. A man snuck behind a tree, noticing her, and called her name softly. 'Anabeth' He called, she whirled around, her cloak dragging across the snowy ground and gave him a weak smile. 'Niklaus, I thought you were meeting us not for another kilometre' She says rushed, walking over to him. The child hushed it's cries and Niklaus reached out to grab it's finger, smiling, his features held a saddened look. 

'There's a train station three kilometres north, you can escape there. The Queen has given me instruction before-' 

'Before what Niklaus! Please, tell me, what has happened since I fled? Are they moving North? Oh the Princess I-'

'The Queen is dead Ana, and it is your duty to make sure her child survives. I need to go back into battle, our soldiers need help- Ana. This is not looking good' Niklaus bows his head, reaching out once more to touch the child's head softly. 'Go Ana, go now' He looks up at her, her eyes have started to fill up with salty tears. 

'I love you' She whispers, the two share a quick kiss before he pushes her away. 'I love you too, please go' He looks at her one last time before she turns her back, clutching the child to her chest and running away in the dark night. 

I stand between them, torn which one to follow. I watch as Niklaus turns his back and runs off in the opposite direction, and I make my move to follow him. He reaches a clearing on a clifftop, and pauses at the sight before him. Looking down, he runs further down the hill. I stop at the clearing, turning my head to see what has shocked him so. A glass castle stood proudly against the snow, but hundreds of people hung outside. Splotches of red hit the snow, dying it. Soliders in black contrasted against the soldiers in white. Screams could be heard, battle cries, children's cries- My eyes widened as I looked at the scene. 

I woke up in a sweat. Beads of sweat dripped off my forehead and I raised a hand to my head, wiping off the moisture, my eyes were still closed. Prying one eye open I found myself laying in a large bed in a dark room, the room was unrecognizable and I grew worried. What had happened last night? My heart started to race. 

"You're awake"

Dakota's familiar voice calmed me down a bit, he sat in an armchair opposite the bed. He was still in his tux from the night before, his dress shirt was unbuttoned and his jacket was discarded. 

"How're you feeling?" He rose to be by my bedside, his eyes searching my face. God I probably looked so ugly now. 

I tried to sit up, I wasn't in the dress from last night and gave him a strange look.