Chapter 18: Intrusion

The phone rang soon after Shay left. Angie picked up rather quickly to prevent Eros from awaking.

"Daddy! Oh, hi. I'm fine—doing better, actually. Thank you for being here when they wheeled me in this morning." Angie smiled, a tear pushing its way down. "Yeah, he's asleep. You did? I wonder why they're keeping him in my room then if they know we aren't married." Her neck warmed and she giggled. "Yeah, I'm okay. You're the best daddy I've ever had. Okay, five then? Okay. Loves."

Angie set the receiver down and turned to Eros. She spared every minute gazing at him. His lashes fluttered and her heart responded. Soft groans floated from his parted lips. His chest moved faster, as if gulping air after a hard swim.

"Eros?" She slid from bed and made sure the gown was tied tight behind her.

Eros turned to her voice, his eyes opening. He blinked until their eyes met, his smile spreading like the sun rising. "Angelina."

She dropped her face for a quick second before looking at him again. "Are you okay? I mean," she choked back tears, hating the sudden rush of emotion, "I mean—your heart had stopped."

"It did?" He turned away from her and eyed his bed, his feet peeking at the end. "Where am I? What are these?" He lifted his wrist and pulled off the monitor and IV. He didn't flinch and that was when she saw no sign of blood. Angie crinkled her brows at how the IV was taped to his wrist. Didn't the doctor say he didn't need it? "What is that strange sound?"

Angie covered her mouth after seeing how scared he was. His face had a bewildered look to it—an expression she'd never seen him have. And his chest still pumped. "It's okay, Eros, it's okay." She reached to him and gave him a hug, so wanting to feel his lips against hers, but knew now wasn't the time. His heart pounded into her chest.

"Angelina, you saved my life."

She was about to pull from his enticing heat when his hands clamped her to him, lifting her off her feet and sitting her on the edge of his bed. She giggled and tossed her hair aside, her heart thrumming from the intense gaze of his stare.

"It was the medics and the hospital that saved your life," Angie whispered, gaping at his lips.

Eros shook his head, his smile shrinking. "No, I can feel now. Not the same as before, but much more." He cupped her face and brought her to him, his lips parting. "I wish you could feel what I feel when I touch and kiss you."

Angie's blood was alive. Her skin felt a glow trail his caresses. "Soft and breathless?" she murmured with a giggle.

He smiled, his lashes almost closed as he stared at her mouth. "Almost—but better."

Angie made a squeaking sound deep inside her throat. A deep yearning for his taste. Her lips parted and he was there. Warm. Sweet. Intoxicating.

A soft knock.

Angie squealed and hopped off his bed, straightening her gown and hair. Eros watched her through his lashes, his lips still parted, his chest fast with breath.

"Just checking on my patients here. Ah, I see you're awake now and you are out of bed." The male nurse rushed forward, his forehead tight with concern as he handled the clear tubes that dangled from Eros' machinery. "I apologize, but we need to keep these on in order to stay on track."

Angie crawled back into bed, embarrassed to have been caught, though he didn't say a word. Eros didn't put up a fight as the nurse reattached the instruments but for the IV. After the nurse was done, he gave her a polite nod. This time, the door was open ajar.