Chapter Eleven- Fritter Theft

"She get me high, she get me low," I belted while driving down the highway. "She got the key to this old bronco. In her bare feet, or in her high heels, no matter how she moving it's all the same thrill."

"Is she-" Calu started.

"On the top of my yeti, on an old boat dock" I continued. "Standing in the river on an old flint rock. Clouds roll by. She get me high!" I didn't even care if they were the right lyrics or not.

"Is she okay?" Calu looked worried as everyone laughed.

"Clouds roll bye. She get me high!" I started to hum as the final notes in the song faded out.

"Ashes?" Calu asked. "Should you be driving?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Cause I think you've gone crazy." I reached over Cale and hit him.

"Shut up!" I yelled. "It's my truck and if I want to sing Luke Bryan songs, I'm gonna sing Luke Bryan songs, dammit!" I gave them a sweet smile. "Or would you rather something else?"

Everyone looked at me with wide eyes. We're they scared? Oh this is going to be fun.

I scrolled through my playlist as I was sitting at a red light. I knew exactly which song I wanted. I cranked up the speakers.

"The snow blows white on the mountain tonight, not a foot print, to be seen." Five werewolves groaned in my truck. "A kingdom of isolation, and it looks like I'm the queen."

"The wind is howling like the swirling storm inside. Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I tried." I took a deep breath. Everyone covered their ears except Leelee who joined in.

We sang the whole song and then we arrived at the festival parking area. I parked and then we climbed onto a hay cart. The tractor jolted into action and we headed to the festival.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calu's pov

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She held onto the rusty old metal of the hay trailer. She giggled at every bump. When a piece of mud came up and flew into Rainer's face Ashes almost fell out of the trailer. I wrapped my arm around her waist. She tilted her face all the way back as I looked down. We smiled.

The tractor jerked to a stop and Ashes squealed. She pulled me past the other people and jumped out; she didn't bother to wait for the dude to put the steps. I jumped down after her.

She gasped. I looked around for any threats. "APPLE FRITTERS!!!" She screamed. Everyone turned to look at us. Ashes glowed as we waited in line.

When we got to the front the lady asked how many we wanted. I looked at the board. In big handwriting it read

'1, 6, 12, 24'. Ashes pulled out her wallet and asked the lady how much they were. The lady pointed to the chalk board as she turned to pull a fresh batch out of the fryer. 'One for $2, half dozen for $8, dozen for $10, two dozen for $18' Ashes had a ten dollar bill in her hand. I hip-bumped Ashes to the side as I pulled out a twenty.

"You don't have to do that Calu." I loved how Ashes says my name.

I smirked. "Do you want fritters or not?" She eagerly nodded her head. I turned to the lady. "Two dozen fritters please." the lady smiled and boxed the fritters. She gave me back a toonie. I thanked her and handed Ashes the box.

I heard Cale yell something. "What?" I yelled back.

"I said don't turn your back on Ashlyn when she has the box... like, you, just, did." Cale yelled.

"Muahahahahahaha!!!" I heard Ashes yell. I turned around only to see Ashes take off running. She turns to see my face while running and took an apple fritter out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ashlyn pov

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt the cinnamon sugar coated fritter in my mouth as I ran through the festival. Boy was he stupid to turn his back on me. He hadn't even started to chase me yet. I pounded down the street, looking for hiding spots.

Hey! I could ride back and hide in my truck! Stopping quickly, I bought tons of maple candy then kept running. I leaped onto the hay trailer and off I went.

Soon I was thundering through the parking lot, eager to get to my truck. When I found Delilah, I unlocked her and sat in the drivers seat. But I'm not stupid. I locked the doors and put my music in to keep me company.

I leaned my seat back and once again opened the fritter box. A delicious scent of cinnamon and apples wafts out. I eat fritters waiting for my Mate to come find me.

###

I've been sitting here for an hour. My faith in Calu's tracking abilities has diminished. I had better not get lost ever because he certainly would never be able to find me.

I open the box and eat another fritter. I originally had 24 and now I'm down to 8 not including the one I'm eating. It's a shame that they haven't found me. I wonder if Calu has realized that he could mind link me.

Ten minutes later I feel a push in my mind. 'Hello?' I say.

'Where are you?' Calu demands.

'What about your amazing Alpha tracking abilities?'

'I lost your scent at the Tractors.'

'Have you gotten in a tractor yet Alpha?'

I heard him growl. 'I am your Mate.'

'I know that.'

'You're difficult Ashes, you know that?'

'Yep' I popped the 'p'. 'Just get on the stupid tractor, stupid.'

All I got in response was a growl. I figured he was coming soon so I hid all my sweets in the armrest, inside my pack of emergency Always Infinity. Ha! Calu won't be getting them!

I had eaten another five fritters by the time Calu knocked on my window. I rolled it down a quarter inch.

"I'm not supposed to talk to men who knock on my window." I giggled while rolling my window up.

"Could you let me in Ashlyn?" Calu asked. That wasn't good. He never called me by my name. Oh well. I acted like I couldn't hear him.

'Would you let me in?' Calu growled into my mind. Oh this was going to be fun.

'...' I sent him back a monotone beep that was like a dial tone. He looked at me with his eyebrow raised.

"Open the door Ashlyn." he ordered. I smiled and waved at him.

'OPEN THE FREAKING DOORS ASHLYN EMBER HUNT!' Calu yelled telepathically. I flinched and hit the button. He stormed around to the other side. When Calu got in he slammed the door shut and glared at me.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"No." He said. I looked up shocked. "You almost killed me with worry and I almost Shifted and killed all the people who stood in my way. No it's not accepted." I looked up to him with tears in my eyes. He stared right at me and his eyes were glowing. He was absolutely furious.

But you know what? Nobody makes me feel like crap anymore, most definitely not my Mate. I did the only thing I could.

I. Blocked. Calu.