Chapter 9 - One big happy family

Telugu words in the chapter: Attayya = mother-in-law ; Satyanarayana Vratam = a pooja to please Lord Satyanarayana, newly-weds in Telugu families are advised to perform this pooja.

---***---

"You look ill. Let me check your temperature" Shruthi was worried for Vennela. The newly-weds were having their lunch.

"Not now, Shruthi." Vennela whispered. She didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone.

"Then promise me you will take medicines after reaching your in-laws' home." Shruthi requested her. She nodded in reply.

A few hours passed. After all the guests have congratulated the couple, it was time for Vennela to leave with her husband to her new home. The elders blessed her. She tried hard to control her emotions. But the tears won't stop.

"Take care of our sister. If you hurt her, you will have to answer to her bodyguard brothers." Rishi-Raj flexed their muscles and warned Amar.

"I promise the muscular bodyguards of my wife that I'll never hurt her." Amar answered.

Vennela smiled weakly. She hugged Rishi-Raj. "Keep smiling akka" said Rishi. "You are not alone. We are with you." Raj added.

Finally, when it was Shruthi's turn, everyone was surprised to see her not crying for her Vennu akka. Though Shruthi was distressed she decided to appear cheerful because she knew Vennela derived strength from her. "It's not goodbye. We'll meet regularly" she assured Vennela.

Amar sat next to her in the car. He didn't know how to console her. He offered her water "Please drink it." "No, thank you" she replied and turned away. He had no choice but to look at her weep. He was relieved when they finally reached their home and she stopped crying.

The Devaraju family welcomed their daughter-in-law. Shambhavi made sure that they followed all the traditions. It was 5 pm when she asked Archana to take Vennela to her room. A few noisy teenage girls accompanied them.

They started irritating her with questions. "Vadina, tell us how you felt when you met Amar anna for the first time? What do you like about him?..."

"She's tired. Let her rest for a while" said Archana. But they ignored her. Vennela struggled to answer them.

"Hey girls. Who won the selfie contest?" Anirudh entered the room.

"What selfie contest?" they asked.

"You didn't know this? How come you girls haven't been informed? My mother announced this two days ago. The best three selfies taken during the wedding will earn a special mention in our company's official twitter handle along with cash prize." Anirudh lied.

The girls rushed out of the room to show their selfies to Shambhavi.

"Thank you anna. I didn't know how to handle them" said Archana.

"You just need to know what to speak and when to speak" he told her.

"Don't copy Amar anna's dialogues" said Archana.

Vennela smiled for the first time since she entered the house.

"Vadina, I brought medicines for you. You've got fever." Anirudh gave her the medicines.

"How did you know?" asked Vennela.

"Amar anna told me. He overheard Shruthi talking to you this afternoon. He is not allowed to enter your room today. So, he sent medicines." Anirudh explained.

"Thank you so much." Vennela thanked Anirudh and Archana.

"We take your leave. Sleep for a few hours. I'll wake you up for dinner" said Archana.