forty eight

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

***

***

Our once large group was now divided into a few smaller ones. This was all part of the plan. The first step was to take out the sanctuary, the main compound. This pushed everyone who inhabited it into a frenzy, trying to control the walkers and work on repairs.

The next step is to take out the outposts. There are several to attack, so the groups were made to cover more ground. I was placed with Rick, Daryl, and three other men from Hilltop and the Kingdom.

Around us, I could hear gunshots from the other group we had put together. They were closing in on the saviours.

"Take out them guards," Daryl ordered.

I took the first shot to the man on the right, and he was hit between the eyes, falling instantly. Rick took out the next, and we all moved in on the doors.

"You signal if they're already inside. We'll be there," Rick told the three men, motioning to the hallway to the right of us.

"Come on. Let's find them guns," Daryl spoke quietly, taking the lead.

***

Daryl and I followed close behind Rick, guns ready. Every time we passed a new doorway, I stuck my gun inside and then my head to get a look around.

Rick stopped once we reached the end of the hallway and pulled out a messily drawn map along with some words scribbles above it. The map showed where the guns were located since we had a man on the inside, Dwight.

"Ain't on this floor," Daryl said, walking past Rick.

"The only option is up," I added with a shrug.

"High ground. Good cover," Daryl agreed.

"Yeah, I'd put them up there, too," Rick replied.

Hey, look. Stairs," I noticed the two white doors leading to a flight of stairs.

I quickly walked up to the rusted doorknob and tried opening it. It was locked.

"Watch out," Daryl muttered to us. I moved out of the way, watching as his boot connected with the door with several loud thuds.

***

"Holy shit. How many freaking floors are there?" I questioned with exhaustion.

We were never able to get the door to the stairs open, so we had to resort to climbing the elevator shaft.

I didn't get an answer from the two focused men, as they were busy prying the doors open.

Daryl pulled himself up, and once he was ready, he turned around and bent down, reaching for my hand. On Rick's end, he locked his fingers together, making a step for me.