Chapter 20: Natsu Dragneel, a formidable foe

Lucy stared at Natsu, her heartbeat feeling like a thunderstorm beneath her chest. Pierre kept manically laughing as Natsu's head whipped towards her and tilted in curiousity.

"Natsu..." She breathed, knitting her eyebrows together.

"Lucy!" Erza snapped, slamming herself into the blonde as the dragon slayer lunged forward, claws arched towards her. Letting out a roar, fire blasted from Natsu's mouth, catching the shrubbery above ablaze.

Pulling herself up, Erza requipped into her fire empress armor and stood in front of Lucy, the blonde staring at Natsu in horror. "Natsu! Pull yourself together!" Erza snapped, drawing her sword and holding it up to guard against his next attack.

Natsu roared, the guild shaking underneath the immense power of his magic and sending large boulders to crash to the ground, a loud groan coming from the cliff side. Laxus looked around quickly, reaching out and grabbing Yukino, a sound of surprise escaping her lips.

"Get out of here! The entire guild is going to collapse!" He yelled at everyone.

It took only a moment for everyone to run to various ways to scurry back up to the surface. Erza dragged Lucy to her feet and the girls ran together towards a rope that hung down.

Natsu roared again and Gray quickly ran to join Laxus, picking up Juvia into his arms as Rogue silently picked up Evalyn, the girl groaning in pain.

All of the mages scrambled up the cliff and managed to get to the surface, Lucy panting as she dragged her self up to her knees. A loud groaning sounded and she let out a sound of surprise as the ground beneath her buckled, causing many of Black Enigma's mages to screech in terror, running for solid ground.

"Lucy!" Levy exclaimed as the blonde stumbled to her feet, attempting to reach her friend. She faltered, throwing her hand out as the ground fell from beneath her feet. A scream escaped her lips and she barely saw Levy lunge forward as she began to fall.

A rough hand wrapped around her wrist and she looked up in shock, surprised to find Gajeel's fingers around her wrist.

"Gajeel!" She exclaimed and he smirked, his signature laugh escaping his parted lips as he hauled her over the edge, Levy flinging herself to help as Lucy's fingernails dug into the earth.

"What the hell was that." Gajeel groaned as the two girls hugged, Lucy patting the bluenette's hair.

"Natsu's power is growing so quickly..." Hibiki breathed, climbing to his feet.

"What happened to him?" Sherry holding onto Ren as he narrowed his eyes.

"Pierre..." Evalyn murmured, everyone turning to look at her. "Master...cursed the dragon slayers."

"We knew that." Rogue said softly and she looked to him.

"No...Master...took an interest in...Natsu Dragneel." She breathed, her hand clutching at his kimono. "Master...cursed Natsu to destroy the ones he cares about and...managed to draw out...the dragon force in him."

"That's not Dragon Force though..." Wendy murmured, looking at her hands. "Natsu-san has used the Dragon Force before and it's looked nothing like that."

"Master discovered that the dragons had been living in you Dragon slayers and was able to draw the power from that out. That is what's causing Dragneel to look like a dragon." A voice came from behind them and Lucy's lips parted as Haruka walked forward, her hair loose around her waist.

"So he's.." Wendy began.

"He's becoming a dragon." Erza said simply as a roar sounded.

"Everyone, listen!" Hibiki yelled out, his Archive magic appearing. "We need to get the injured out of here. If we work together at keeping Natsu at Bay, we can get them out of here."

Gray looked down to Juvia, her blue eyebrows drawn together.

"Wendy," Hibiki began, causing the girl to look at him. "I want you and the other slayers to get out of here. Pierre's lab may have been destroyed but we have no clue what else he may have up his sleeve. Take the injured with you. We'll be fine."

"Like hell!" Gajeel snapped, Levy holding him back as his stance faltered. Hibiki raised an eyebrow. "You really think I'm just gonna sit back with my thumbs up my ass as you guys fight the idiot? No way."

"Ah! Natsu-san would fight with us!" Sting exclaimed and Rogue nodded.

"I can't let the idiot hurt anyone else." Laxus said simply, placing Yukino on her feet. "He'd never forgive himself."

"I don't care." Orga said simply, climbing to his feet. "I'll get everyone out of here." He walked to Rogue and took Evalyn into his arms.

"I'll help him. But I'll come back and fight!"

"Aye, sir!" Happy exclaimed and Charle sighed. Happy flew to Gray's side and softly took Juvia by her shirt and lifted her from his arms.

"Take care of her." Gray said and Happy smiled.

"Take care of Natsu!" He said, tears welling up in his eyes. Charle and Lily slowly picked up Cheria and Eve, Ichiya saluting the group.

The ground shook beneath their feet as flames burst from the earth, Natsu soon bursting through the rubble, fire spewing from his mouth as he growled.

"Let's go, flame head." Gray said with a smirk as the others retreated.

Before Natsu stood Gray, hands in position to cast a spell. Lucy stood by his side, holding up a key in preparation, Erza and Laxus by her side. Gajeel, Levy and Hibiki stood together, ready to fight. Rogue, Sting and Yukino. Ren, Sherry and Lyon.

The four guilds stood at the ready as Pierre appeared behind Natsu, a smirk on his face.

"Prepare to meet your maker!" He snapped, throwing his hand forward.

Laxus let out a yell, electricity coursing around his frame as he threw his head back.

"Fight like hell!" He yelled.

"Yeah!" Everyone yelled back. The mages all ran forward, attack after attack striking Natsu who didn't even so much as wince.

Erza went after Pierre, brandishing her Adamante armors sword, swinging it towards the man. He stepped sideways simply, letting out a sound of surprise as Loke's arms wrapped around his, holding him in place as Erza's sword came forward. He mumbled something and Loke let out a yell as Erza's sword swung against his chest, causing the spirit to disappear.

"Loke!" Lucy exclaimed and Erza cursed, turning around to look at her surroundings.

"I'll fight you fairly, Titania." Pierre's voice came from behind and Erza was flung forward slamming into the ground. "Prepare to die."

----

Okay, I know it's short but we're just about into the good stuff ;)

Next chapter:

Chapter 21: Titania versus the Demon