4

luke felt a little anxious as he walked into the cafeteria.

finding somewhere to sit at the start of a new year was always nerve wracking for him.

he made his was to the only empty table he saw. it was in the middle of the cafeteria and it had four chairs.

he sat down, and he immediately felt like a loser. he hated sitting alone, but he didn't have anyone.

he looked up and smiled brightly when he saw michael sitting at a table with his popular friends.

he waved, and michael stood up, walking towards luke.

"hey, are you hungry?" michael asked and luke nodded.

"yeah, i'm starving." luke said, and michael sat his backpack on the table, pulling out a peanut butter sandwich because he knows luke loves them.

"thank you, mikey. i-"

"no problem. i'll see you later, okay?" michael said, and luke looked up.

"you don't have to go." luke said quietly.

"i already told them i would sit over there and-"

"it's okay." luke said, and smiled.

"you're the best."

luke's smile faded as michael went and sat with his other friends.

luke picked up the sandwich and stood up from his table.

he quickly walked out of the cafeteria, and sat in the empty stairwell.

he didn't like how all of those people could see him.