Wandering in the Badlands

"Can we please have a single day, or like an hour, where something isn't trying to attack us?" Lilly asked, wringing the wet sand out of her hair.

"You were asleep through several," corrected Erica. Lilly threw her head back and sighed.

"You know what I mean," said Lilly.

"Hey, I tried to warn you," said Erica, following next to her. "To be fair, I never knew what to expect either. I've never been through the Badlands, certainly not this far." The path they followed winded through a series of dark trees heading West across the base of a mountainous pass. Lilly shifted her armor as she dusted the final remnants of sand off her body. Erica kept a tight hold on her dagger. "Stay on your guard."

"Right," Lilly said tiredly. "How much farther do you think we are to this witch's castle?"

"Hard to say," said Erica, keeping her eyes peeled on both sides of the brushed path. "As long as we're still heading West, we should be fine." Lilly fell silent. Erica's ear steadied to the surrounding bushes and trees. In the wake of their tread, the fairy hushed her breath. Her fist clenched firmly around the hilt of her dagger. She kept a close lead on Lilly's path, ready to guard against any oncoming threat that either of them should face. Several moments in tense silenced passed before Erica looked back at Lilly, missing the comforting sound of her voice. Lilly stared down to the ground, her face elongated with a heavy brow. "Are you okay?" Erica asked softly. Lilly shook herself out of a daze and looked up.

"Yeah, sorry, just a lot on my mind," said Lilly. Erica fell back to walk beside the girl.

"Want to talk about it?" asked Erica. "Might make you feel better."

"It's nothing," said Lilly. "I'm just worried," Erica nodded.

"I can't even imagine what you must be going through," said Erica. "But we'll get her back. Even if we can't beat Tickela, we'll get your sister back one way or another."

"I know," said Lilly, forcing a smile. "I'm really glad that you're here to help me. I know that as long as I have you, I have nothing to be afraid of." Erica waited for Lilly's expression to return to its natural perky optimism, but the girl could manage a fleeting grin of reassurance.

"Good," said Erica. "Is there anything else bothering you?" Lilly paused and grimaced.

"It's just... that's the problem," said Lilly. "I never knew how dangerous this would be. I was fine thinking that I'd be going through all of this for my sister, but after everything that's happened..."

"What?" Erica asked. "What is it?" Lilly stopped and turned. She crossed her arms, whimpering behind sniffles.

"I don't want to be responsible for anything happening to you," said Lilly. "I... I couldn't live with myself if anything should happen to you because of me." Erica stopped. She walked up to the girl and threw her arms around her, holding her tight. Lilly began to weep into her shoulder and hugged her back.

"Hey, hey, listen to me," said Erica. "What did I say back on the boat?"

"That... that you were prepared to... fail out here if it meant me getting Silvia back..." Lilly sobbed. "But I don't want that to happen."

"It's not going to," said Erica. "Please believe me, that was what I felt back there. Not anymore. I said that we would get all of us out of here and I meant it." Erica pulled Lilly's head away to look her in the eye. Lilly glanced down, her cheeks red, eyes dripping, and nose sniffling.

"Don't look at me," said Lilly. "I'm ugly."

"How could you say that?" Erica asked. "Look at me. Please." Lilly paused and sniffled a few more times before her moist, pinkened eyes caught Erica's stare. "You're beautiful. You're always beautiful. And I promise you that we will get out of here. All that stuff I said back there, that was before I... felt... the way I feel." Erica dodged and looked away. "Lilly, I couldn't bear it if anything happened to you out here either. It's my duty to keep you safe and as such, I will do anything that I can to keep us both safe. I know I haven't been the best at that so far..."