Chapter 9

---Carmen's P.O.V

My ears perked up when Jay said we'd be leaving this horrid dump. I couldn't escape this place, not even in my dreams, but now we were finally leaving. My spirits lifted a little and I sat up in the bed. The dress was slightly torn from me trying to rip in off earlier, and my eyes were puffy and red.

Carter and Jay looked at me when I moved and Carter's eyes showed sympathy, as if he actually felt my pain. He was better than Jay in that way. Rather than trying to see things from my point of view, Jay only thought about himself. He only cared about how I didn't trust him anymore, how bad it made him look, how guilty he felt. He didn't care that my sacred first kiss had been stolen, that my soul had been stolen, that I had been stolen.

Actually, my soul had been stolen long before today, along with my innocence, and real happiness. I don't think about that time anymore. My brain shoved it in a drawer long ago so that my heart wouldn't break down as soon as I hoped it would.

I smiled slightly at Carter and he moved to help me up, making sure I was steady before taking off his coat and wrapping it around me. He grabbed the sweats from the night before and I turned around, dropping the dress to my feet. His coat was long enough to cover my butt and I pulled the sweats up quickly, zipping his sweatshirt up over my naked torso.

Jay watched silently the whole time, and when I glanced at him I could see him glaring at Carter. If looks could kill, Carter would be six feet under. Jay had his arms crossed, looking away and clenching his jaw. "Done flirting?" He asked Carter sharply. "Let's go."

I didn't have any shoes except for those silver heels, but I wasn't putting those back on. Jay didn't care that I was barefoot and ignored me when I whined. His way of punishing me for picking Carter over him, I guess. Childish.

"Where are we going now?" I asked as we left the office after paying. The boys ignored me, Jay's fingers tightening around my wrist. "Ow, that hurts." I whined, trying to get even a glimmer of kindness out of him. But all I saw was the dark anger. I twisted my wrist, face breaking down. He didn't care anymore, he was probably taking me somewhere to kill me!

"Let me go!" I demanded, shaking my arm up and down, but he held fast.

"Stop struggling or I'll do to you what I did to blondie." He growled like a dog and my mouth clamped shut. If he was going to be heartless, I would be too.

After walking for a few silent seconds, I lifted his arm to my mouth and bit his wrist hard. My teeth sunk into the skin and his blood rushed into my mouth, mixing with my spit. He and I both screamed at the same time, his in agony and mine in disgust. His fingers let go and I was free... free.

I ran as fast as my bare feet would carry me.

My heels thumped against the cold pavement hard, and my breaths came out fast with adrenaline and excitement. I wiped his blood off of my chin and actually smiled, the first real smile since I was taken. My hair whipped all around my face, pulled back by the cool wind. I ran along the street and cars whizzed by, some honking, some people yelling words that I couldn't make out.

All that mattered was that I was free, and no one could stop me now.

---Jay's P.O.V

"What are you doing, CHASE HER!" I yelled in Carter's face, shoving him hard with anger and panic.

"Just let her go." Carter said quietly, crossing his arms. "It's over."

"Fuck you." I hissed, before taking off sprinting. I cursed Carter for making me wear a white shirt. I felt terribly obvious under the glowing streetlights. She was far ahead but I could still see her on the long, straight road. She was sheltered and spoiled, she'd never make it far alone.

She'd either be taken by someone with worse intentions than me, or be found by my colleagues. Even worse than that, she might go back home.

With longer legs I was faster than her, and slowly gaining. Occasionally she'd glance back but not spot me and I thanked God for that. Her adrenaline seemed to die down and she was slowing, feeling safer having not seen me.

But I was catching up.

---Carmen's P.O.V

It was stupid of me to think that he wouldn't make chase, but my brain was a tornado of liberation, breathing in the cool wind of freedom and breathing out the gasoline fume of my fear.

Every time I looked over my shoulder expecting him to be there my heart would jump, but then I would see nothing but people walking and cars rushing by and I'd relax, slow down. I'd always had a good metabolism so I never worked out to stay thin. I swore to myself that if I made it home I'd go to the gym more often. My heart was beating fast and my lungs burned from the running.

Finally I began walking, spotting a bus stop just a few feet ahead.

And there it was. The sound I was dreading the most. His feet hit the pavement quietly, expertly, but I could hear him running. He slowed to a walk just a second too late. I knew he was there.

I played it cool for just a few more seconds even though every part of me wanted to run screaming. I made sure not to turn my head but my eyes were scanning the buildings for an alley to dodge into.

Finally I saw one. Without hesitation I broke into a sprint and slipped into the darkness, feeling safe without moonlight. His foot steps sounded behind me but I trusted myself and kept running, zig-zagging through the alleys behind buildings. He wouldn't be merciful with me this time. He'd take me back and they'd kill me.

Just when I thought I was safe I felt two big arms wrap around my torso. I sped up but they held me fast and I ended up just knocking the air out of my lungs. "Let me go, let me go!" I screeched breathlessly, my lungs feeling like they were on fire.

"Quit struggling and this will be over before you know it." I didn't recognize this voice. This voice that cackled happily, drunkenly. This beard that scraped my neck as he turned me around and bent me over. I was frozen as he shoved me and my face hit the hard, gravel floor of the alley, ass in the air.

Finally I found my voice. A bloody-murder scream found it's way into my throat and I belted it out. I've never screamed so hard in my life. This new terror I found myself in actually had me screaming for the one before, which seemed warm and sweet compared to this.

"JAY! JAAA-" My mouth was covered but I kept screaming, biting the dirty palm of the man's homeless hands.

"Shut your mouth, dear, before I cut out that pretty throat of yours." That was the last thing I heard before I blacked out, my hair grabbed and slammed into the ground for a second time.