Chapter 27

Jules

JACKASS JAKOBE MARTIN, FBI, told me I couldn't mention they approached me to anyone, or my deal would be thrown out. This coming right after he groped me in the elevator. I really thought there was some law against that. There's a security camera in our elevator. But knowing him, he probably had the feed cut if he knew he was going to approach me.

And I tried to call today to find out, but Charlie kept interrupting me every time I was about to dial the number. It's not like I can say anything in front of him. That would be just too dangerous. Never mind he kept hounding me about my outfit.

Then, I thought I'd do it on the subway, but there was no reception. My hope is if I can prove he was inappropriate, if I ever do get arrested for whatever Charlie's involved in, maybe I can use that against the FBI as leverage.

Theo stares at me, his mouth agape. Speechless.

"I'm serious," I whisper.

He starts to laugh. He laughs at me. "That's a good one. Seriously. Who are you going to get to help you? The truth this time."

Now, that just takes me from one emotion to the next. I hit his chest. "What's so damn funny?" I ask, not even bothering to wipe my tears because I'm afraid more are right behind them. It's my thing. I cry when I'm angry. "You don't trust me. At all," I say, my voice rising. "I'm so serious. Either you help me, or I'm going to the FBI." That's not a lie. That's the truth. I'll be calling the number on the card Jakobe, Jake, gave me. I guess we're on a first name basis. Groping and all.

God, I wish I could tell Theo about that because he'd so rip that guy's balls off. Okay. So probably not smart to tell Theo. If he'd just promise me he's in this with me, that he trusts me, I'd tell him. But I can't take a chance on him bowing out and losing my second chance.

"You think you're just going to call up the FBI, and they're going to come to your rescue? You realize if you tip them off, you're shooting yourself in your own foot? You can't do that."

"Are you really worried about me or yourself? Because at this point, you're in the middle of it all."

He shakes his head. "I've not signed anything with your firm yet. In fact, if I were to be approached, I'd just tell them we were a one-night stand. That's the truth too." He arches a brow.

"Fucking asshole."

"Me trelaíneis."

"And you're going to talk in Greek so I can't understand you? What did that mean?" I tap my toe, but there's a part of me that wants to jab the fucking heel right into his bare foot.

He smirks. "You make me crazy."

"What the hell, Theo?" I shrug. "I can't read you at all today. You're hot and you're cold. You asked for the truth, and I'm giving it to you. You just have to decide if you're going to accept it. And if you're not, then I need to get back to work."

"Oh, you mean, you won't run to the FBI if I tell you I'm out? Think better of your little flawed plan?" He starts to walk, pushing my body with his until my back meets the refrigerator.

The stainless steel is so cold against my skin. "Uh." I shake my head. "I'm still holding out hope you won't tell me you're out. I want you in." There's so much more meaning to that last sentence. It's a wonder I'm even able to form coherent words.

He dips his head down, his lips on my ear. "If I find out you're lying to me, agapemèni, I'll go to the FBI myself. I'll take you both down. Do you understand me?"

One corner of my mouth tips into a crooked grin as I run my hands under his white shirt and down to the waistband of his sweats. I'm pretty sure these are the same ones he had on last night. "I'm not lying, so that won't be a problem. But you're so hot when you make threats—"