Chapter 20

One moon later

Splashclaw awoke, and leisurely stretched. He climbed out to join the clan eating. He saw Dawnriver heading towards him. Her belly had grown, then shrunk. Tigerflower's belly, in Mudsplotch's world, had grown. Dawnriver looked upset. Have my kits died? He thought angrily. He stormed up to her.
"Why hasn't your stomach grown?" He asked coldly. She looked down. Her ears were back and her tail dropped in sadness.
"Pebblefrost told me it was a miscarriage. I'm sorry," she meowed, looking sadly at her empty belly. Splashclaw grew angry.
"Did you not do what I told you to? Did you go hunting or patroling?" He growled.
"N-no, I made sure not to. I wanted to have these kits. Even if it wasn't completely my choice," she murmured. Her eyes started to water.
"What did you just say?" Splashclaw growled. Dawnriver shrunk back, obviously to sad to really react properly.
"I just said I wanted to have kits. Even if it wasn't fully my choice, I still wanted them," she murmured.
"Then you'll be fine with some more," Splashclaw growled, springing on the grief filled queen. She squeaked in surprise as Splashclaw swept her tail aside.
"Splashclaw! We're in public! What about the kits?" She meowed in surprise.
"Let them see. It'll be good training," he purred. Dawnriver saw Tigerflower quickly herded the kits into the nursery while Vineflower slept. She had obviously seen. No one else seemed to notice. The rest of the clan proceeded to eat and talk, completely unaware of what Splashclaw was doing. Dawnriver had no choice but to let him stay on her. She wanted kits, and could be accused of murder if she bucked him off, since he would fall into the water. He soon jumped off.
"That should do it. No more miscarriages now, huh?" He purred. He rubbed his nose against Dawnriver's cheek. She just stood there.
"You should eat something to help my kits grow. I want them fit and healthy. Otherwise..." He growled. Dawnriver gulped nervously. The larger tom was obviously making death threats. She quickly grabbed a bite to eat. She ate it as far away from Splashclaw as possible.
Splashclaw saw Bramblestar walking over to his mother. Bramblestar sat down, and shared some prey with her. Wouldn't that be nice. To have all the she-cats in camp. I could be leader some day. I just have to figure out a way to get an apprentice, and to have the deputy die. I could ask Bramblestar if there is anything I could do each day! That would kmake him trust me. Since there are no apprentices, I could do there duties. Even if it is boring, I must in order to become deputy. Then I could get Bramblestar to trust me even more, and kill him in the night. He wouldn't suspect a thing. Splashclaw thought deviously. He sauntered up to his leader.
"Since there are no apprentices, I was wondering if you'd like me to do their job of making sure the dens are intact?" Splashclaw asked innocently. His leader looked surprised.
"How did our son turn out to be such a great cat?" Splashclaw heard Bramblestar say to Sootsplash. She purred something inaudible in his ear.
"That would be great! Thank you, Splashclaw," Bramblestar meowed, dismissing him with his tail. Splashclaw purred to himself. His plan was going well.

Splashclaw spent the day checking an all of the dens, patching holes, and getting new leaves and branches. He padded into the warriors den. Dawnriver hadn't moved into the nursery yet. Splashclaw curled around her. He loved a nice warm she-cat to curl around. Not only could he make sure she was caring his kits, he could get her to trust him more. He shoved his backside into hers. Splashclaw wanted to be one-hundred percent positive she was caring his kits. She flinched a little in her sleep, but soon relaxed again. Splashclaw fell asleep to her steady breaths.