4 - CALL ME MAYBE

STEVE REACHED OUT WITH SHAKY HANDS, TAKING THE BOTTLE FROM HIM

STEVE REACHED OUT WITH SHAKY HANDS, TAKING THE BOTTLE FROM HIM. He raised it to his lips and carefully tilted his head back, taking a small sip. He pulled it away and reached out to hand it back, only to be met with resistance.

"I didn't mean a small one," the boy shouted, "Drink some more."

Steve, terrified of what might happen lest he not do as he was told, took a much larger sip, careful not to choke. The drink was cool against his throat and the hot summer day and he smiled happily as he wiped his mouth, handing it back.

"What's your name?" the boy shouted, sitting down next to him.

"Steve," he replied, voice quiet, "You don't have to shout so loud."

"But I heard—" the boy began, but he cut him off.

"Doesn't mean I can't hear anything, just can't hear as well." He was defensive now, curled in on himself; this boy was probably out to pick on him, just like everyone else.

"Okay," the boy said, voice still loud, but much less aggressive, "You wanna play with us, Steve? We got room for one more." He wasn't sure of the truth behind his words, as they didn't play by the rules, but he figured it'd be a nice thing to say.

Steve shook his head. "I can't. I'm too sick. Mama said so." He would love to play, really he would, but it was too dangerous for him.

The boy hummed and nodded, standing up, dusting off his hands. "Well, okay. You can keep drinking that if you want."

With that he was back in the game, falling into line, the easy smile returning to his face, though the carefree aura had never left him once, even when he was talking to Steve.

The smaller blond leaned back against the steps, watching as he played. He was careful not to touch the drink, afraid that the boy would get upset if he wanted some only to find it was finished, but when he saw the boy motion towards it, then to him, he found no reason why he couldn't.

So he drank happily, savoring the sweet taste, watching the game proceed. He watched as the boy hit a home run, crashing it into a window. While everyone stood frozen in fear, the boy simply whooped and hollered.

"Hey, Steve, did'ya see that?"

º º º

Steve leaned against the wall, squinting against the darkness of the bar, sketching away. It was a quiet night, so he had nothing better to do other than to work. He had thought about finding another job, as he could always use the safety net, but he wasn't sure how to go about it.

"Hey, Grant!"

He looked up and saw one of the bar regulars, a pretty girl called Rachel, waving him over, a few of her friends in tow. He didn't know much about her, except that she was getting her masters in computer science and had recently broken up with her boyfriend.