62: נυѕт ¢αи'т gєт єиσυgн

We slip and slide as we fall in love,

And I just can't seem to get enough of.

S Y K E S:

I found myself holding Zaire's hand as he sat in my lap, my fingers playing with the buttons on my cell phone, trying to decide it was truly time to call my father.

I had told Zaire I was going to stand up for him, and I meant it. I just couldn't get the apprehension to go away. I shouldn't be such a pussy about my father, and I know it. I'm just letting my childhood fears lead me as an adult, and I cannot do that anymore. I'm forty years old now. No more time to fuck around with my daddy issues.

"Master," Zaire said soothingly, putting a hand on my shoulder. I smiled at him, and pressed my father's name in my contacts, pressing send before I could second-guess myself. I have to do this, if not for myself, for my slave.

I let my father speak badly of him, and I didn't say anything, for whatever reason. I felt at the moment like I could say something to him, but I hadn't because Zaire had asked me kindly not to make him dislike him.

Now though, Zaire realized that he was a foul, loathsome asshole. There's no hope for him to ever like anyone.

The man has never been happy and there isn't someone alive that can change him. I will never understand how my mother put up with him. My mother wasn't a bad mother, she didn't stand up to my father, but she'd never physically hurt me. I feel like my mother was just stuck like I was. She spent her time hoping and praying that I'd get out sooner rather than later so that she didn't have to see my father get angry at me anymore.

I really couldn't blame her, either. Her family had practically offered her to my father when they were younger, and I knew my snotty rich grandparents well. They wouldn't have let her come back to them after she married him. It'd be a scandal.

I only helped further their popularity by being a business owner, and buying smaller businesses and turning them into huge businesses. The third ring, it stopped ringing midway through and I thought for a moment he'd sent me to voicemail and nearly sighed in relief. "Sykes?" He asked, and I shook my head, looking down at my phone.

"Father," I said calmly, looking at Zaire to pull my strength. "I know I don't make it a habit to call you, however this is a bit important." I said, and he snickered a bit, and I could picture him rolling his eyes at me as if I'd disturbed him.

"Let me guess, this is about your little prostitute boyfriend, correct?" he asked, and I had to fight back the urge to jump through the phone at him.

"Zaire is not a prostitute, father." I said, trying to remain calm. "However, you are correct on some accounts. I am calling about him in a way." I said, and he scoffed.

"He's so below you, I knew that you would come to your senses. I have a man that'd be perfect for you—very successful." He started.

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"I found a man for you when I realized that Zaire and you are certainly not meant to be. He's a doctor, and he's very good—!" my father began.

"I'm not marrying some man you found me father." I snapped. "I'm not calling to tell you that I've left Zaire. I'm calling to let you know that I'm not going to be leaving Zaire. He's my lover whether you like it or not, and I'm not going to leave him. Nor am I going to allow you to disrespect him. He is much more important to me than any other of my lovers ever have been." My father scoffed.

"Certainly you cannot be serious Sykes, he's a whore." My father said, and I took a deep breath trying to calm myself down some. "I have seen you have some questionable boys in the past, but honestly, you're just shooting lower and lower. This time you've really scraped the bottom of the barrel, haven't you?"