Vingt-et-un

I sat in my office staring at the wall in front of me. I never noticed how beautiful walls are, I mean the things practically stand on their own. I shook my head, it's crazy what little things you notice when you're alone.

Everything was back to normal again, at least my normal. Alex was back to work which was a good thing, I didn't want to see him around the house because every time I did it made me feel more guilty. I already gave the hiring manager a two-weeks notice, just enough time for her to find a new C.O.O. Someone knocked on the door disturbing me from my thoughts, "come in," I said rubbing my tired eyes.

"Hey, you're not going to lunch?" Mr. Smith asked entering my office. It was nearly impossible to avoid him no matter how much I tried, how could I when his office was right across from mine and he wouldn't leave me the fuck alone.

"Um..." I said looking at the clock hanging from my office, I didn't even notice it was time for lunch, "no," I answered.

"Why?" He asked me. He walked closer to me leaning forward on my desk. I focused on his ocean blue eyes, they were alluring. "I'm sure you're hungry," he added moving his eyes from mine.

"I'm not, what makes you think I'm hungry?" I asked, "I'm fat, but I don't eat alot," I added. I actually did eat a lot, as long as the foods good, I'll eat a whole pot of it, but he didn't need to know that.

"Um... I think you're hungry because you've been here all morning and you don't eat breakfast. You only drink coffee in the morning," he said. That was very observant of him. No one knew I hated eating breakfast unless I was really hungry, I prefer drinking coffee except Alex of course.

"True, but I'm not hungry," I said.

"Okay, mind getting lunch with me then?" He asked me. It would've been a harmless thing to do if everything didn't already happen, but I'd be crazy to go somewhere with him now. "Come on, you've been here all morning, it wouldn't hurt to get out," he added.

"Um...yes it would," I replied getting up to walk around, I've been sitting for a long time.

"Why would it?" He asked. "We're just getting lunch, nothing else."

"If I go will you stop bothering me?" I asked him. His really annoying, asking why would it hurt. Sometimes I wonder if he was just being sarcastic or if he was just stupid. Yes, it would hurt because I'm trying to avoid you. What part of that didn't he understand? He nodded his head, "let's go," I told him grabbing my coat, I put my coat on and exited my office.

He followed me without saying anything, we took the elevators down, "we're walking," I said once we reached the front lobby. He nodded his head again, we got out of the building, the fresh breeze of fall hit my face. "So, what do you want to eat?" I asked him as we started walking down the busy streets.

"Fish," he replied. I chuckled not saying a thing, I could have guessed he would have said that. "Vicky said you put a two-weeks notice," he said.

"Yeah," I replied putting my hands inside my pockets to warm them up. "So, you guys have enough time to find a C.O.O, maybe he or she will be black," I joked.

"Why're you leaving?" He asked me. "Do you know how hard it is to find a good C.O.O, he asked me?"

"Pretty danm hard," I replied. It is hard to find someone out there who is good and with the experience. I still couldn't believe he didn't want to hire me because I was black when he knew how hard it would be to find someone else. I laughed internally thinking how far we've come, we've gone from hating each other to whatever we are now. I still hated him though, I just enjoyed his company more now.

"Then why are you leaving?" We stopped letting the cabs pass to cross the busy streets. We then crossed the streets, he stopped in front of a small restaurant. He opened the door for me get in, I rubbed my hands against each other once I entered. I sighed in relief for the heat.

"You never wanted me to work for your company, to begin with," I blurted out. He never wanted me there, why does he care if I leave?

"I changed my mind," he said, we took a seat one of the tables. The small restaurant was really busy considering I've never seen or heard of it until now. "Maybe I've enjoyed having you work for the company," he added.

"Doesn't matter, I'm leaving," I told him.

"What can I do to change your mind?" He asked looking at the menu.

"Nothing," I answered. He exhaled putting the menu down and passing his hands through his blonde locks. He bit his pink bottom lips closing his eyes.

"Okay," he said opening his eyes. He called a waitress over and started to order his lunch.

'''''''''

We took the elevator up to the last floor to get back to work. I watched as everyone greeted him as we walked through the lobby. We finally reached the hallway where our offices are and he sighed in relief. "Are you sure there's nothing I can do to change your mind about leaving?" He asked as we stood in front of our offices.

"Don't you get it?" I asked him, "I have to leave."

"No one says you have to."

"No one had to, I made a mistake and as long as I stay here I'll never be able to move on and I'm afraid if I stay I'll be repeating the mistake over," I blurted out.

"Who said it was a mistake?" He asked staring into my eyes.

"I did," I replied, "I do!" I practically yelled.

"Is that what you believe or what you think you should believe?" He asked me.

"What I believe."

"You sure about that?"

"It doesn't matter, it was a mistake and I'm done," I said starting to walk away.

"It actually does, I don't understand why you care what people think," he stopped me before I had a chance to enter my office.

"Don't pretend you know me when only yesterday you wish I was dead," I retorted.

"Maybe I do know you, better than you know yourself," he said coming closer to me.

"What makes you think that?"

"Because your mouth says one thing, but your body says another."

"I think I can read my own body," I snapped back.

"Really? Then are you aware you get nervous when you're around me? You stumble over your words, you start sweating. Even your eyes can tell you the truth."

"These are also signs of fear and ha-"

"Hatred," he finished for me. He looked down at his watch, "all I'm saying is to stop living your life how others want you to live it."

"What makes you think I am?" I asked him.

"Anyone can tell, you got married early because you thought it was the right thing to do, you act and speak how you think you should, you're just like David. It's the twenty-first century for christ sakes stop."

"And you don't live like that?" I inquired. He might have been himself when he's around people he knows, but to the public, he's the golden boy, the boy next door, the bachelor who's just waiting for the perfect girl to make his wife.

He put his head down thinking for a moment, "you're right, maybe it is time I start doing what I want," he said in his deep voice.

We stared into each other's eyes, "I think so," I responded turning around to open my office door. He grabbed my hand turning me around making me bump into him.

"I'll start now," he said kissing me. I kissed him back pulling away when his office door opened.

"Greg, is that how you treat all your employees," a lady asked standing at the door.

AN

Crappy chapter, sorry...

Who's the lady??

Thanks for reading...

Au Revoir...